Alaska Democrat Mary Peltola flips House seat in special election, defeating Sarah Palin

Exactly. This was a case of voters actually choosing a preferred candidate rather than choosing a preferred party. If a supermajority of the third-place candidate (who was a Republican) had selected Palin as their second choice then Palin would have won. They didn’t.

It’s beyond parody that Republicans across the country are saying the will of the people has somehow been subverted through this voting system given how gung-ho they are for gerrymandering and the Electoral College.

8 Likes

Politics is healing.

3 Likes

Dude, can you send me the coordinates of your planet? I want to go there! This one sucks.

9 Likes

Has-been? More like a never-was.

1 Like

Peltola also got the most first-choice votes

What system does Palin think she would win :confused:

6 Likes

The one where any other Republican on the ballot has to donate their votes to her, I guess.

5 Likes

6 Likes

It would be kind of like Theodore Roosevelt saying that he should have been named the real winner of the 1912 Presidential election because he would have defeated Woodrow Wilson if they’d only let him have all of Taft’s votes.

3 Likes

The thing is, maybe in a ranked choice voting system Teddy would have won that election. It is entirely possible that most Taft voters would have put Teddy as their second choice. But Palin’s complaint is even more ridiculous because she had an opportunity that Teddy didn’t: Begich voters were free to put her as their second choice but not enough of them did.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.