Alastair Reynolds' "Revenger"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/02/alastair-reynolds-revenger.html

2 Likes

I didn’t enjoy the first of these as much as his earlier books. However, I am currently re-reading everything of his as part of my anti-boredom regime, so I might give them another try.

1 Like

2 Likes

Is this part of a series? Which one is the first?

Revenger is the first in the Revenger series.

3 Likes

The galaxy has seen great empires rise and fall. Planets have shattered and been remade. Amongst the ruins of alien civilisations, building our own from the rubble, humanity still thrives.

And there are vast fortunes to be made, if you know where to find them . . .

Captain Rackamore and his crew do. It’s their business to find the tiny, enigmatic worlds which have been hidden away, booby-trapped, surrounded with layers of protection - and to crack them open for the ancient relics and barely-remembered technologies inside. But while they ply their risky trade with integrity, not everyone is so scrupulous.

I like the premise - a kind of Fall Out / Pirates of the Caribbean / Sci Fi Mix.

The straightforward writing will appeal to young adults

This makes me a bit concerned though.

It is a space opera. As I said expect few surprises.

3 Likes

You really can’t go wrong with spaceships and a good, old fashioned galaxy-threatening macguffin tho.

2 Likes

Revenger is a lot of fun. I’ve got the sequel, Shadow Captain, in my to-read pile. I should maybe move it to the front of the line…

2 Likes

A good short story bulked out with lots of PC meh.

1 Like

It is very, very YA but for some reason they felt it was ok to not market it as such.

Pissed me off, didn’t read the sequel. Hell, it won an award(Locus) for best young adult book so if you have a high school aged teen in your life it is probably a safe bet.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.