Alex Jones' companies file for bankruptcy

has assets of $0 to $50,000

but he had $75k to pay fines, which have now been refunded?

8 Likes

I thought that too, having followed the same link. If you ignore the link and scroll down, the article says:

Judge Barbara Bellis in Waterbury, Connecticut ordered the return of the money Thursday because Jones eventually did show at a rescheduled deposition. The fines, which escalated daily, were aimed at making sure Jones appeared for questioning.

5 Likes

He apparently ordered a lot of T-shirts printed…

1 Like

I am an evil, filthy capitalist allbeit not rich and I find I have to agree with you on this.

I’d love to see a team of forensic accountants brought in to sort out his assets from a hole in the ground.

2 Likes

While that’s an option, he is also being sued personally with only damages to be determined in several lawsuits.

So we have that to look forward to…

5 Likes

Alternatively, one could “file” or even “petition” for bankruptcy, which, appropriately enough, have a certain air of desperation.

1 Like

Jones will likely mess this attempt to stop justice up on his show. Asking him to stop being a complete raging asshole is about like asking him to stop breathing.

2 Likes

An individual or business that petitions for bankruptcy does not automatically have their petition granted, especially if the judge thinks that it’s only being done to avoid paying money to other parties in the event they are sued.

10 Likes

that’s good news, but it also sounds like it’s still far from settled what’s actually going to happen to them. if anything

2 Likes

Too bad there isn’t some way to let the Sandy Hook families take over the Infowars, etc. trademark. That way every time he gets paid for it, it would go to the families. If a judge goes along with this, they need a complete and professional mental health evaluation.
I wonder if aj has spent all this time hiding his assets? He’s such a giant AH, I wouldn’t doubt it.

3 Likes

This is a way to completely screw the Sandy Hook parents out of their money.

1 Like

Which is a sad commentary on those who bought into his various schemes; it’s even sadder to realize that he is far from the only grifter getting rich off the gullibility of his marks.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
― George Carlin

6 Likes

I thought he was being sued personally not his companies?

Both.

3 Likes

I bet this is another case where everyone thinks someone’s playing seven-dimensional chess, when he’s just a big old cretinous asshole, and if he gets away with it, all that will prove is that the system is broken and everyone in it has been sucked into the narrative of assholes winning.

Bankruptcy protections and limited liability are good things, if you can count on judges using their discretion to prevent flagrant abuse. It sounds like Jones has pinned his hopes on getting a judge who’ll be swayed by right-wing celebrity, and it sucks how plausible that is.

But as long as a judge says “fuck you, sell your house to pay your victims” then I will credit the system with having worked in the end.

4 Likes

Justice would be him having remorse for the things he’s done. I don’t see that ever happening.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.