Alex Jones must pay $1.1 billion despite bankruptcy

Originally published at: Alex Jones must pay $1.1 billion despite bankruptcy | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Fry the MF-er.

Where’s the rest of the foul lot?

18 Likes

I’ve been looking forward to the day this scumbag is seen walking around wearing a barrel. That day is now a lot closer.

26 Likes

Maybe he’ll try to pay with this.

7 Likes

Brilliant, just brilliant. You always worry that the scumbag will use bankruptcy and other laws to avoid paying, but looks like he is firmly on the hook.

18 Likes

The problem is that Jones’s only known way of making a living is by being a grifter and disinformation artist. So for the families to get their money, Jones has to sling more bullshit and rip off more suckers. It’s rather as if you condemned a druglord to compensate his victims by dealing fentanyl to high-schoolers.

I suppose Jones could throw himself heart and soul into running an honest business, but how likely is that to happen? I don’t get the impression that he’s a good businessman, just that he has an instinct for grifting.

13 Likes

He has money squirreled away.

17 Likes

The barrel is filled with fire ants - yes?

13 Likes

On the other hand, are the deplorables that watch his show and buy his scam products likely to continue to do so if they know most of the money will go to the Sandy Hook families? Either he continues and the families get the money, or he doesn’t and they only get whatever money he has already. Seems like a win either way.

9 Likes

IMG_5017

17 Likes

The means that Jones “will likely be working the rest of his life to pay his debt to the families,” reports The New York Times. “It also closes off the possibility that Mr. Jones could liquidate Infowars and force the families to accept whatever proceeds result, leaving him free to start a new business.”

Happy Tom Hiddleston GIF

18 Likes

May the FO phase of Jones’s FAFO never cease.

16 Likes

I’m hoping for Jones to spend the rest of his miserable life at the brink of utter penury, with just barely enough money to survive as everything he owns is taken away from him and awarded to the victims of his malicious lies.

I hope his fate will be a warning for every other would-be rabblerousing far-right fuckhead for generations to come.

6 Likes

Still hasn’t paid anyone a penny.

Maybe it will be the hundredth lost lawsuit? There are no real consequences for these guys. His show is still platformed an all the big sites. He still rakes in advertiser money. He still sells snake oil.

He still exists, and thrives. No judge has made it stop, ever.

3 Likes

All of the other cases were automatically stayed once he filed a petition for bankruptcy. If the ruling means, as I think, “you cannot discharge these particular debts,” then hopefully those creditors and their claims will be dismissed from the bankruptcy and the civil cases and collection efforts can start up again. Civil law is often an even slower crawl than criminal law. But grind it shall.

6 Likes

He really makes one yearn for more explicitly “punitive” damages.

3 Likes

And w/o the shoulder straps.

2 Likes

Welp… its a start :+1:

2 Likes

… and yet that’s the only characteristic that distinguishes him from any other lunatic ranting on a street corner :moneybag:

3 Likes
5 Likes