Alex Jones ordered to pay nearly $1 billion to families of Sandy Hook victims

Originally published at: Alex Jones ordered to pay nearly $1 billion to families of Sandy Hook victims | Boing Boing

24 Likes

‘Well, actually,’ it’s not;

I just wanted to use that gif to illustrate my utter disdain for Jones and my sheer glee at his loss.

60 Likes

Good.

If this reduces Jones to abject penury for the rest of his life… good.

47 Likes

Schadenfreude deluxe!

40 Likes

37 Likes

37 Likes

I worry that he’s sheltered his wealth so effectively at this point that it’s inaccessible. Surely there’s some other way to punish him, such as e.g. removing his ability to do business or continue broadcasting/streaming?

30 Likes

Darlin’ - that is so much better than a five dollar shake!

22 Likes

42 Likes

21 Likes

Nes Nintendo Sticker - Nes Nintendo Laughing Stickers

20 Likes

He can work it off on the road crew. Picking up trash in the Texas heat.

39 Likes

FTFY. Courts have already called bullshit on his bankruptcy attemts and are tracking where he’s tried to move his money to relatives and shell companies. With this much on the line, recipients can hire very good forensic accountants and use the power of the awarding courts to pry open his accounts.

56 Likes

This is one of those cases where I wish it was possible to keep the offender alive through artificial means for as many centuries as required to pay off his debt to society before being allowed to enjoy the sweet release of death.

32 Likes

I’m sure they can see where it’s gone, but will they be able to get it? The only justice here is if Jones is completely financially obliterated, but if they can’t actually take his money from him the judgement just becomes symbolic. Not arguing they can’t - just not convinced they can, 'cuz I don’t know what legal instruments they have at their disposal.

12 Likes

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

17 Likes

That’s going to require shifting a hell of a lot of Brain Force.

3 Likes

Well, I guess we’re about to find out!

Also, you realize they can seize assets as well, right?

22 Likes

The usual tools that are used against poor people all the time:

They can garnish payments he receives from 3rd parties.
They can enter a lein against his properties.
The court can order payment of some amount by a given deadline.
If he fails to comply with the above, the court can hold him in contempt and put him in jail.
Etc.

I don’t understand how you can be skeptical that he can be compelled to provide payment. How do you think massive awards are enforced at all? Why would individuals and companies bother spending millions on lawyers if they could just refuse to pay?

41 Likes

gifhaus-funhaus

19 Likes