Alex Jones ordered to pay nearly $1 billion to families of Sandy Hook victims

ha ha simpsons GIF

20 Likes

They can do all these things. But will they? I certainly hope so, but we all know (as you hint in your first line) that justice in the United States is selective. I guess we’ll see - it’s certainly true that there’s no goodwill towards Jones on the part of the government, so there’s no reason for it to shield him from actual consequences. But I’ll believe it when I see him living on Skid Row.

14 Likes

Bragging on his show that he has no intention of paying anyone, and calling the proceedings a fraud may be helpful in proving contempt.

47 Likes

The MAGA folk really have no understanding that speaking about their situation outside of a pending or on-going criminal or civil case is the last thing you want to do. They just can’t imagine a world where they need to shut up.

34 Likes

It’s worse than that. These steps are up to the courts (which he treated with contempt), and specifically the judges he mocked, doxxed, and targeted his followers at. It’s safe to say they genuinely dislike him and have zero reason to treat him with any deference that they might otherwise hold for a wealthy defendant.

31 Likes

It’s time for Alex to double his efforts so he can pay folks back. Maybe take some instruction from the $100k couch influencer?

Wasting Time GIF by One Chicago

13 Likes

Every single step of the way Alex Jones has worked to make sure he took the most damaging possible course of action for his own legal interests.

The United States provides such broad protections for freedom of speech that even a man who slandered and tormented the parents of murdered kindergarteners probably could have got away with it if he’d just kept his yap shut and listened to his lawyers once in a while. But he’s the scorpion of fable; he can’t change his nature even when his life and livelihood depend on it.

44 Likes

Breaking rocks in the hot sun.

20 Likes

I don’t think that there is much resale value in his organs; but we could give it a go.

16 Likes

There are a couple prominent examples of high-dollar judgements that mostly haven’t been collected on. For example, as of last year OJ Simpson had only paid about $133k out of the $33.5m he was ordered to pay in the wrongful death lawsuit. Not to mention many thousands of deadbeat dads who are refusing to pay child support payments. So it’s understandable to me that people are skeptical.

But Jones probably does have more assets than OJ at this point, and, as noted, hasn’t exactly been ingratiating himself with judges, so let’s hope he really is forced to pay out everything he’s worth.

17 Likes

His fans might want organs that are pre-loaded with all those (fake) nutritional supplements. Auction them off to the highest bidder!

8 Likes

Yeah, that kind of thing is what I was thinking of, but I didn’t have a ready example. Thanks!

1 Like

I was thinking that even if they get every last penny and possession, there will always be someone who’ll give him a microphone and pay him for a van down by the river.

But then it occurred to me that then they’d be on the hook for anything further problems that Alex’s endless mouth would drag in.

5 Likes

That’s true, but OJ really didn’t have the money. I don’t know where people get the impression that pro athletes are loaded after their careers are over. Hospitals are expensive, and the NFL doesn’t cover lifetime health care.

2 Likes

OJ did better than most, with some non-trivial income from acting and endorsements. According to several articles I’ve read he still has something like a $25k/month pension from the NFL but creditors legally can’t go after that because of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act.

8 Likes

He probably didn’t have what he owed but I’d bet almost anything he had a helluva lot more than he paid.

I’m a broke-ass educator and I’m sure I could find a way to pay more than $133k if allowed over a quarter century to do so.

14 Likes

It’s going to be so sweet when the sheriff puts a lock and chain on his studio & boots him out while he’s on-air. I’m sorry- the microphone stays.

13 Likes

Or lock him inside and cover the structure 8 feet thick with reinforced concrete.

3 Likes

If he’s so bankrupt, may I suggest alternate means of raising the needed funds? I’m sure AJ would be a treasured collectible for his rabid fanbase.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, right-wing politicians and pundits like Marjorie Taylor Green and Charlie Kirk are crying foul about this – probably because they realize their entire movement has been built on a foundation of grifting, cruelty, and violence, just like Jones. And if the courts can rule against him this hard, all of them are in potential danger.

15 Likes