Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez schools Republicans on the true costs and beneficiaries of the Green New Deal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/27/sean-duffy-schooled.html

20 Likes

Long live AOC; may her vision stay true, and may her spine stay straight.

We need more reps like her, stat.

47 Likes

Not that any of this is news, nor that the right will care about facts and data, but there are both facts and data to back her up.

28 Likes

20 Likes

I do wish she hadn’t done the pause at the end and repeated “I don’t know what we are here doing”. I can see right wing assholes clipping that and posting it alone and saying “SEE, SHE IS CLUELESS”

6 Likes

she seems pretty mad.

good.

11 Likes

No, she’s not; she’s human, fallible, and I won’t deify her. That would be setting myself up for inevitable disappointment.

But I will acknowledge that she’s the kind of political figure that our government has been sorely lacking for decades, at least; one that’s actually of and for the people.

35 Likes

But there was no collusion!
Ergo, the Republicans can do whatever they want from now on.
Or something like that.

12 Likes

True, but I think you know I didn’t literally mean perfect.

She’s at this stage an amazing young politician. Assuming she stays in it for a little bit…she’s the kind of advocate I am all for voting back in many times over.

10 Likes

Of course I do.

:slight_smile:

However, the comments and interactions we post here aren’t merely for one another; there’s a whole unknown audience out there somewhere reading, even if they never start an account or comment.

It’s for the sake of all the ‘known unknowns’ that I tend to clarify my positions, so as not to be misunderstood or misinterpreted.

21 Likes

You’re more considerate of the filthy ignorant masses than I.

4 Likes

I know I will be down-clicked and yelled at, but I still have to say it: Ocasio-Cortez can’t be the poster child for righteous speech-making every single time. In Congress, House of Reps especially, there is a mentality of “The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.” If she is known primarily for speech-making but fails to advance the goals of her constituency, or make tangible goals on her platform, she’ll find herself on the outside looking in.

3 Likes

Pretty instructive that an elected representative of the working class doesn’t understand what the true purpose of Congress is.

AOC: “What are we doing here? What’s the purpose of this?”
DNC: “We’re here to write legislation favouring those corporate donors that sponsored our re-election campaigns.”
RNC: “We’re here to bring about the second coming of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.”

19 Likes

There but for the grace of regular showers and the public library, go I.

16 Likes

Maybe the other members of her party should step the fuck up, then.

AOC and several of her freshman compatriots are really bringing the hammer down on the Hill, and we need more of it, as much and as often as possible. For non-AOC examples, see the congressman who blasted an airhorn at the NOAA official who was testifying that sonic cannons aren’t harmful to marine life, or the congresswoman who literally quoted the educational textbook on economics that she wrote to the head of the CFPB when that official couldn’t properly explain what an APR was.

31 Likes

Seems like she might be undermining her point a bit with Republicans when she talks about minority communities being impacted harder than middle class white folks. Republicans are going to hear “So you’re saying that Democrats will suffer more from climate change? Why is this a bad thing again?”

1 Like

That speech with Reagan riding a Velociraptor to explain why it is important to have a whole lot of babies to stop climate change is one for the record books. If Matt and Trey ever make Idiocracy 2 they can just play that clip unedited at the beginning and everyone will understand how the world was ruined.

11 Likes

" At a townhall meeting in Amery, Wisconsin last week, the “Real World’s” Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) exposed just how out of touch with ordinary Americans he is. According to progressive blog Rightguardia, one constituent — an underemployed construction worker — explained that his wife, a teacher, may have to take a cut in wages if Wisconsin’s draconian budget bill goes through. “I’m just wondering what your wage is and if you guys would be willing to take a cut,” he asked Duffy.

Displaying that delicate sense of empathy characteristic of conservatives, Duffy whined about his $174,000 congressional salary and his “used minivan.”"

18 Likes

That’s dumb. Stop thinking that.

AOC could call for the creation of ovens to burn the unworthy and convert their ashes into gold to be given to billionaires and the Rs would find fault with it. “Publicly funded ovens!!?!”

You can’t let your opponant define how you talk to your supporters.Otherwise you end up in a situation where one sharp clever passionate woman gets told to tone it down already.

4 Likes

UNCULTURED SWINE, the lot of em!!!

image https://media1.tenor.com/images/00022cbee9a40c94196af9ef5f25933d/tenor.gif?itemid=7572630

1 Like