AOC exposes Kevin McCarthy as weak House Minority Leader who now kowtows to QAnon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/28/aoc-exposes-kevin-mccarthy-as-weak-house-minority-leader-who-now-kowtows-to-qanon.html

19 Likes

Cue centrists fanning themselves about Ocasio-Cortez’s “lack of comity and civility”.

53 Likes

The Republican party is the greatest threat to democracy this country has faced since WWII. The question is will their race to the far right kill their viability as a political party before they reach their goal of minority rule by conspiracy.

The terrifying part is it’s probably 50/50. We’ll know by the 2022 elections.

41 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

And reminder (I know that I don’t need to remind most people here of this, but it should be said nonetheless) - white supremacists are NOT the other side of anti-racist activists. This is not a “both sides” thing. Anyone who believes it is does not understand reality.

I would say since Mass Resistance to the civil rights in the 50s and 60s. That was indeed a major threat to democracy in America.

41 Likes

AOC for President.

35 Likes

“This is no longer about a party of limited government…” She’s right, it’s now an anti-government party. The GOP are now basically right wing racist anarchists.

20 Likes

She’s eligible, just, in 2024…

18 Likes

They have no problem with government when they are it (as long as it doesn’t imply doing actual work). Rather, they are the anti-people party.

13 Likes

True, you could make an argument though that running for office on the platform of stripping the goverment of its ability to function is both anti-people and anti-government.

8 Likes

The Death Cult Party.

19 Likes

True, except they are not anarchist in any meaningful way because they are ultra hierarchical.

The word you are looking for is fascist.

39 Likes

At this point, the Republican Party should be designated as a terrorist organization.

20 Likes

Biden is going to be the candidate in 2024 assuming he hasn’t had a major health crisis. I’m all for AOC 2028 though. It might be the biggest age difference between two consecutive presidents in history. Maybe even the largest age difference between presidents period.

8 Likes

And she’s a threat. That’s why the right has been demonizing her for two years. They’re laying the foundation for shredding her if she tries to make a run for it. Unfortunately, she doesn’t stand a chance because of it. Still, if she runs I’ll be supporting her.

Edit: spellchuck

8 Likes

And the “both side-isms” from the press. On the one hand, fascists, on the other hand, people who want Americans to have health care…

Ever since I saw a poll done in 2015 or 2016 where a substantial percentage of respondents believed Donald Trump would start a nuclear war, including the Republicans who took the poll (and were planning to vote for Donnie regardless), I realized the Republican party had turned into a death cult. Everything that’s happened since has just provided a mountain of evidence to reinforce that conclusion.

19 Likes

No, because they still want government that will suppress their “enemies” especially over seas.

12 Likes

Her talents for communication and organizing are certainly wasted as a back bench house member (even more so in a caucus that is OLD AS FUCK).

But I think it is very easy for people who are Very Online to overestimate her popularity, or even name reconcognition, among normie Democrats.

1 Like

The Republican party has been on the losing end of changing demographics for several decades. And it’s mostly their own fault-- they decided on the Southern Strategy back in the 70’s, they push policies that hurt the poor and help the rich, and they are anti-science. All of this leads to them being the party of millionaires and racists and the uneducated.

So much of what Republicans have been doing for the last decade is white-knuckle death grip desperation, trying to hold onto power. They have just reached the point where all that’s left is to just ditch the subtlety and go full-on Fascist.

12 Likes

Yeah, remember the good times when Joni Ernst and Steve King and Louie Gohmert were the craziest and the worst?

10 Likes

I feel like this a pretty chill response considering the people she is talking about assisted a murderous mob to literally hunt the halls for her a few weeks ago. Not sure I could hold it together this well.

14 Likes