AOC's debut speech on the Congressional floor: "It is not normal to shut down the government when we don’t get what we want."

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/17/aocs-debut-speech-on-the-con.html

21 Likes

(Swoon flutter flutter)

30 Likes

This is why she’s popular. Because she’s not lying.

70 Likes

She said; “cerrenly.”
It’s a good look for her.

ZING!

The younger and fired-up crop of pols, now and in the coming years, are not going to be the same as the old bosses. They are not going to hold back and are going to lay the truth out there to with an eye on the future and hopefully some solutions. Repubs will have no defense against it because, well, they can’t handle the truth.

21 Likes

I hope this gets played on Fox news

12 Likes

I agree, but weren’t a bunch of people on the left asking Schumer to shut the government down a year ago over DACA?

6 Likes

Full 3½-minutes speech available on various websites. For example: The Guardian.

8 Likes

40 Likes

I don’t understand how the right wing does not see that we are on the same team trying to move our nation forward. And that being shut down right now is wholly unnecessary and brings about pain and suffering to families for the sake of something as insignificant and ineffectual as making one egomaniac feel good about doing something of no true practical value with the taxpayer’s money.

2 Likes

Because they’re not on the same team.

29 Likes

The right would prefer to make the team lose than let someone they disagree with make a big play that helps the people.

14 Likes

…but her dancing!

8 Likes

There, take a note establishment Dems: no “two sides” BS; no fighting on the GOP’s territory; no pretending that this is normal; and she gets right to the heart of what this really is – an assault on liberal democratic institutions. All under a minute. It isn’t difficult.

It’s no wonder childish billionaires and their even more childish bootlickers are scared of her.

46 Likes

Plus, moving the conversation goalpost much further to the left. The right has dominated the conversation to the point that Nazis are part of our general conversation now.

34 Likes

Meanwhile the establishment Dems are promising to present their own plan on border security, because that’s what all this is really about, amirite?

14 Likes

If she achieves nothing other than moving the Overton window back to some form of sane positioning, that will be enough. I hope - and suspect - she may achieve more, but it is very early days.

35 Likes

THIS.

10 Likes

“It is not normal for public servants to run away and hide from the public that they serve.”

Lookin’ at for you, Mitch. He needs a Waldo beanie right about now.

i

18 Likes

That’s why I’m loving her so much (speaking a Scot here, so it’s not really my fight). The right is trying to brand her as a radical. The way I see it, she’s just renormalising US politics and bringing some much-needed balance. The drift to the far right has been going on steadily since Reagan, to the point where many in Europe saw even Obama as a centrist at best. Time to correct it, and she seems to be the one doing the most legwork right now.

29 Likes