AOC's debut speech on the Congressional floor: "It is not normal to shut down the government when we don’t get what we want."

because our team includes those undeserving black and brown people to whom our team hasn’t been nearly cruel enough.

with team maga, cruelty is the point.

14 Likes

During her campaign, I called this young congresswoman “the new face of hope” in one of my rarer optimistic moments; as time goes on, I pray she keeps proving me right.

A fan-created image from back then:

29 Likes

since my fox news loving relatives spend a lot of time putting up memes mocking her and dissing her i’ve been assuming she’s on the right track.

24 Likes

But Obama was a centrist. And really, there’s nothing wrong with that (unless he’s Black). In fact, it’s a good look for a U.S. president, since it at least theoretically lets them fairly evaluate non-batshit positions on either side. (Unless he’s Black.)

14 Likes

I know who she is and how she got in office but I’ve been seeing nothing but almost pop culture reference to her constantly so I haven’t seriously listened to her.

The premise of this was directly sensical so I watched.
I want to immediately replace everyone in that building with clones of her, leave them to work and not worrying anymore about politics because I trust that a sane, just, and intelligent person is doing their job without me watching.

On the opposite hand is a man like Mitch McConnell. I could not create a more useless and pointless existence of a human being if I tried. I wouldn’t piss on him to put out the flames if he were on fire, I’d grab some marshmellos and a stick.

19 Likes

debt ceiling has be to raised by congress in march

we’re going to march, absolutely can see it

or until trump sees a poll with his approval in the single digits

2 Likes

You couldn’t eat the marshmallows; the fumes from his burning flesh would be too toxic.

13 Likes

I’m sure McConnell is savvy enough to realize that when it drops below 30 it’s basically game over for reelection. Historically anyway, 45 has a nasty habit of defying established precedent.

4 Likes

The “shutdown” does not include parts of the federal government that protect “life or property.”

Most Republicans don’t WANT the federal government to do anything EXCEPT protect property.

They haven’t even started shutting shit down. They don’t care. This is not a problem for them.

9 Likes

(sorry, I just couldn’t resist)

3 Likes

Ooooh, I DO like the cut of her jib!
Here is potential for greatness, that is if the GOP, the old dems or some rando MAGA.-loon with a gun don´t cut her rise short. Remember, if you scare people in power you put yourself in danger.

3 Likes

First of all, your point doesn’t invalidate AOC’s debut speech.
Secondly, did you read your Washington Post article at all? I’ll tl;dr it for you:

In December, Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) and his Democrats opted against forcing a shutdown fight over DACA. Some groups quietly stood by that decision, seeing a better opportunity for a fight in January; some condemned it. Democrats, generally, have come to believe that the first set of groups are allies, while the second set have been opportunistic.

4 Likes

Sounds good to us, but I think all the empty chairs behind her speak volumes about how much traction this speech will generate among her colleagues.

1 Like

I’ve often heard that point made over and over again as some sort of flaw or fault that Obama was a centrist.

As far as I can see the POTUS once elected regardless of which party they come from should be centrist. If a POTUS comes in a holds to one party line, it leads to the derision and division we are seeing from this current administration and other hard right admins through the decades.

1 Like

I’m not talking about her debut speech so much as I am talking to leftists on this board (and elsewhere) who heaped scorn on the minority party over the past two years for not being willing to shut the government down to stop the party that controlled the government from doing what they want. And now AOC says the obvious, nobody seems to remember the fact that more than a few of us wanted the government shut down over tax cuts, two Supreme Court nominations, the lapsing of DACA, etc.

8 Likes

Surely she’d agree that at least some of those ARE good reasons to shut down the govt, as opposed to Trump’s racist vanity wall.

4 Likes

I guess you could lawyer your way somewhere with the qualification of ‘popular’, but I would again note that a) the US government isn’t designed around popular rule (much to our chagrin) and b) there is an entire industry built around designing polls and spinning the results of those polls, there is one poll that matters and it happens every two years.

The fact remains that all of the negative consequences of shutting down the government would happen even if there was popular sentiment behind it. I might be old fashioned, but I think that purposely starving people in order to gain leverage in a negotiation is bad praxis.

I really need for people to stop saying that phrase as if ‘old fashioned’ behavior was somehow an idyllic state of being that was more civil and less horrific than how people behave now.

In the past, it has been legal and ‘okay’ to force children to work, to beat one’s wife, to own slaves, to discriminate based on petty, superficial differences, and to willfully destroy our environment, among many other antisocial and detrimental activities.

We have to live in the present, not waste time pining for a idealized past that never existed.

NOW

12 Likes

lol, it was a joke

you could put anything in there:
I might be a gabacho
I might be an ignorant BA holder
I might be an unfrozen caveman lawyer

it’s a rhetorical trope, not a call for a return to the Age of Innocence

3 Likes