Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Twitter is the ultimate antidote to Donald Trump's Twitter

Twitter is a mass communication system; Trump is president. You can get some people to ignore him, but plenty more won’t (including foreign leaders). Which means having some people ignore him amounts to not challenging his insanity. It cedes the conversation to him, to some degree. A proper, informed framing of what he’s saying makes it clear it’s bullshit. That’s what we need. Not just calling it a lie, but providing the context that makes it clear it’s nonsense.

6 Likes

Sad, but still very true.

Using it as her platform to fight back at all the nonstop gas-lighting bullshit which has become ‘the norm’ is indeed a very smart move, as it’s such a huge amplifier… especially to younger or first time voters.

10 Likes

I think that constant refutation of Trump’s gibberish could lead to a dangerous increase in his blood pressure… so, not a total waste of time.

3 Likes

Sorry to ask, but what point of civics is AOC being accused of misunderstanding or misstating? I mean, I assume the attacks on her are penny-ante bullshit, but would like to know for sure. Without trying to decode a statement on Palin’s website myself.

2 Likes

The office of President is vacant.

1 Like

In a video, a livestream I believe, while talking about how hard Democrats have to work right now, she rattled off the three “chambers of government” as the President, the House, and the Senate. That’s all. But now she’s a naive idiot who can’t be trusted to do her job. Especially with her crazy eyes! You seen 'em lol! It’s disgusting.

3 Likes

The ultimate antidote to Twitter is not using Twitter, and possibly reading a book or something else that’s more than 280 characters and doesn’t beep, blink, or otherwise try to interact with you.

3 Likes

But as with most things that make too much logical sense, it’s not likely to happen; not for most people.

2 Likes

That’s not Instagram, that’s her privacy settings. I don’t have an account either, but I can view my daughter’s Instagram - except for her “story” which is the thing that deletes after 24 hours.

2 Likes

Not sure if A O-C’s Twitter (that is; combative, sharp, progressive people she follows) is of course that, or I just happened to pick the one tweet with 0.3e23 toxic replies that nonetheless proves the point. (Scrolling on Twitter: I’m probably doing it quite wrong by now. There’s an RSS that works cannily, right?)

4 Likes

if you don’t have a twitter account, the front page of twitter is uninviting. Luckily, google images the pages beyond.

Call me a neoliberal hack if you must, but I have a bookmark of

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TrumpRussia&src=tyah

I have yet to make a twitter account.

1 Like

Open any news app, his name greets you as the first article. Listen to the radio, his name is uttered within the first few minutes of the news break. Open your favorite mutant website and it’s wall-to-wall Trump. He can’t be ignored because our media can’t or won’t ignore him.

He shouldn’t be ignored, because he is a demented bigot in charge of the most powerful military in the history of the world.

Which is currently averaging one bomb dropped every twelve minutes.

6 Likes

Me neither. I’m usually sent to Conway’s account via the WaPo, which loves the way Conway trollies his wife by dumping on Trump.

But they should, which is what I’m saying, and the modern corporate media is driven by consumption and purse strings, not by their personal fascinations. It’s a cycle to some extent, but we’re hardly powerless in it.

1 Like

They really shouldn’t; as @Wanderfound said above, he is the President of the United States, with all the power that implies. Now, if you want to argue that there should be a change in how the media reports on Trump, that’s a different thing. But he can’t and shouldn’t be ignored.

2 Likes

You can ignore what the man says to focus on what the man does.

3 Likes

Is that what I’m saying? Because that’s not what I’m saying. People are focusing on the verb “ignore” and not the object(s) I’m advocating it act on.

1 Like

What should happen will absolutely not happen; because the man is a perpetual spectacle, and that makes the sensationalist media lots of easy revenue… that’s at the heart of the problem, right there next to the US’s deeply ingrained bigotry & misogyny.

4 Likes