Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez reaches more people on Twitter than the press and establishment Democrats

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/14/league-tables.html

7 Likes

Twitter is a great place for building cult status but it’s shitty for discourse.

19 Likes

Agree - This is supposed to be a good thing?

6 Likes

That’s a remark about Twitter, not AOC.

11 Likes

The more they attack her, the more followers she gets (and ironically a good number of those followers are right-wingers who hang on her every tweet looking to attack anything she says.)

5 Likes

The link in the post is actually a comment about a story on AOC in Axios, which links here: https://www.axios.com/ocasio-cortez-dominates-twitter-6a997938-b8a5-4a8b-a895-0a1bcd073fea.html

1 Like

AOC scares the hell out’a Trumpanzies / Nazis / Bigots / Racists, and I love that.

22 Likes

Absolutely. If we’re stuck with it, though, it’s good to see a politician from the reality-based community exploiting it nearly as well as a lying con artist.

13 Likes

Naturally Trump is first. Challenge: find the second Republican on that list.

7 Likes

I recall before trump was elected people talking about the “death of the Republican Party”… I sorta feel like that wasn’t far off. Yeah trump was elected but more because of his racist pandering and scare tactics (and maybe partially the unpopularity of Clinton). But those things aren’t really a viable platform in the long term… sounds like I’m off topic but I mean, no one cares about what republicans have to say on twitter except for the one insane guy who’s been given too much power… and I think that’s a bad sign for republicans going forward…

2 Likes

Twitter? I can call spirits from the vasty deep!

2 Likes

12 Likes

I’m surprised Obama doesn’t have more followers

2 Likes

How’d she get a three character twitter handle?

5 Likes

Let me fix this for you.

10 Likes

Pelosi and Schumer’s response to Trump’s free-airtime wall chat was a complete yawner. They are politically adept but Ocasio-Cortez brings youth, charisma and straight talk.

And that’s why Trump leans so heavily on it.

4 Likes

Love the contrast between this and the ‘picture of egg gets most likes’ article, really highlights how pointless and readily-gamed these metrics are.

1 Like

By following AOC people get to engage in politics without all the hassle of voting.

1 Like

Is there something about their following her on Twitter that causes their names to be stricken from the voting rolls? That isn’t happening with Il Douche’s followers.

8 Likes

Stricken? No, but Twitter use generally is strongest among demographics that vote least. Maybe AOC’s followers will all follow her lead in street-pounding activism, but first they’ll need to put down their phones so as not to trip over the curb.

1 Like