Alien: Inauguration

I like this but, the “American Horror Story Inauguration 2017” poster going around on FB is even better.

8 Likes

Dude…

7 Likes

I hear you, and I tried to phrase my comment as “here’s how that feels” rather than “here’s why you’re a poopy-head”. I’ve read enough of your comments over the years to know your frustration is coming from a good place. I get frustrated too about what might be more productive vehicles for change than others. I broke down and expressed it in a comment about a political cartoon I found wanting. This new post brings up those same feels: Animated series about Donald Trump’s hair from Ferris Plock, Kelly Tunstall, Form & Fiction

But the false equivalence thing really does annoy me too, as it seems like the histrionics during the Obama administration did muddy the waters of truly justified political dissent and fear (of course I acknowledge my subjectivity in using the word “true” here…) in just the same way the truly “Fake” nature of the new and distinct phenomenon of fake Facebook & Twitter news is already muddied by the long-running and specious claims of the MSM being “fake” and “left-wing-biased.”

What I will say is that I get it if the best political comment that one can muster is a partisan slogan, because today is, for me, and I think for a lot of people, truly disorientingly, bizarrely unsettling.

12 Likes

I’m going to have to admit having a hard time telling the difference between peaceful demonstrations of political dissent and… Well…

So I’m sorry for breathing down your neck about this. It’s mostly I see ‘not my president’ or ‘“president trump”’ and immediately hear the Jaws theme. For me the waters have stayed muddy and show no signs of clearing.

1 Like

The only way to combat propaganda is to disseminate the information and obscure the lies with fact.

I have been “rechanneling” some of the Obama hate today.

7 Likes

A map of the states where Donald Trump is President but more importantly where people will fight against tyranny, regardless of your opinion.

7 Likes

That is generally what opposition parties do. Democracy rather depends on this sort of thing.

3 Likes

A key difference being, when the right was saying some of this stuff, they were provably wrong.

“The phoney electoral college made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one!”
“He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!”

It may be a little on the petty side, but it’s not out of line to feel Trump deserves just as much respect as President as he showed to Obama, and not a bit more.

10 Likes

I am not saying the left is the same as the right

Yes, you are. Conflating the made-up crack fantasies of the tea party with the real live threats stated out loud by greedy, incompetent bigots coming in to run the administration… that’s the definition of false equivalency.

I’m not stuck on dictionary definitions, I’m just not anti-dictionary. Language is useful, for users like you and me alike.

8 Likes

I need the t-shirt.

ETA: I just printed that off for the sister march today.

My wife, who reads presidential biographies for relaxation, would point out that partisanship and finger pointing have been the norm for the last 225 years at least.

For what it’s worth, Colorado used to limit its legislative sessions (I believe it was 6 weeks maximum) on the theory that the public good was in jeopardy as long as the legislature was in session. But then, they also restricted banks from having more than one branch office, and that office could be no more than a couple of hundred yards from the main bank. I suspect that if you asked the citizens today, they’d overwhelmingly vote to go back to those restrictions.

Given the things Teddy Roosevelt said of Taft on the campaign trail and the two were friends even, I believed t.

To me here lately has gotten bad though, worse. Maybe it’s the media, maybe it’s just me realizing it isn’t just this guy or that this is all of them.

I’m seeing the madhouse crowds

You’ve been doing that for months now since Trump’s rise to power and often often saying literally that.

Trust us, life will be much different when you’re moved out. Life gets a lot better when you have a perspective not shaped wholly by your family.

5 Likes

squadgoals: literal batman villainy.

1 Like

From what I’ve read, apparently referencing Bane was a sort of Breitbart in-joke during the campaign. Not surprisingly, Steve Bannon wrote Trump’s inauguration speech.

2 Likes

See also the America First references.

3 Likes

I expect that the “left” are actually the centre-right and the “right” are actually the far right reactionaries. Even then, they aren’t the same.

Related: The Overton Window should not be seen as anything other than a distortion of reality

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.