Alignment chart of text editors

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/13/alignment-chart-of-text-editor.html

5 Likes

Obligatory

19 Likes

Pfffft!

REAL programmers use TSO. And, if they’re weenies, ISPF.

1 Like

looks for alignment of vi
nods

7 Likes

I can see the argument for Emacs being Lawful Good, but the one thing that nags at me is my gut feeling that most folks who prefer developing with Lisp dialects (Emacs was built by and for Lisp hackers) wouldn’t identify themselves as Lawful Good. It’s a paradox, I tell you!

3 Likes

Pfft, you young’uns and yer TSO. REAL programmers code on an 029 keypunch.
And git off’n mah lawn!

6 Likes

Emacs is lawful good? ^X^C that!

11 Likes

Is it not time we had an alignment chart of alignment charts?

20 Likes

Ed is the standard text editor.
Probably should be the TN?

6 Likes

What nano isn’t on there? Note I use it cause I never fuck around with VI or emacs often enough to remember shit without a cheat sheet.

Notepad has the one good use of ganking out cut and paste garbage from one app to another.

13 Likes

Notepad as evil? Was there just a empty spot on the grid that needed filling? Most of these are inaccurate. I agree that MS Word is chaotic though.

4 Likes

I’ve been using Atom. According to timecop, the splitt-diff package was adding 2500 milliseconds to startup time. Which sort of militates against the whole idea of lightweight text editors.

now, i see that it’s lawful evil. Perhaps I should use something else? I have a mac.

But does that count as a text editor? I guess as the core function but I sure wouldn’t use that for writing code.

7 Likes

That’s a bonus in my estimation… :smile:

1 Like

As a start, I propose that the Sandwich alignment chart should occupy the position of True Neutral

7 Likes

Yo dawg, I hear you like alignment charts, so we

9 Likes

Atom began as a “lightweight” editor but bloated up over the years (months? can’t keep track anymore). Eventually it took me longer to launch than TextEdit, even with the Git integration plugins shut off.

I’ve been using TextMate and it seems solid so far. Not as highly designed, but clean.

2 Likes

BBedit has many fans, and the basic version is free.

6 Likes

Sublime text is dead.

I use ‘vi’. I don’t use ‘vi’ because I love it. I use it because it’s a functional anvil (like all the others) that also happens to be ubiquitous.

3 Likes

When I had a Mac, I used Text Wrangler (and BB Edit before that). (These days I use Notepad ++.)

4 Likes