Alignment chart of text editors

Microsoft word is a photo editor as well if you take my users’ word for it.

Oh and a spreadsheet.

And a pdf editor.

12 Likes

If it edits text, then I would say it counts. I mean, I don’t know anyone who uses it to code, but…

Also, I think they just needed an obvious answer for that square.

1 Like

If moving from Atom, you might find Visual Code an easy transition. It is fantastic, I never use Atom or Brackets anymore because it does all the same things as both and is faster.

I use sublime for certain tasks still.
Especially huge files with complex multi-point edits.

6 Likes

One time, when I was teaching an intro programming class, I had this guy who kept on submitting his code in rich text format. I kept telling him not to – I want to compile the damn thing – but he never listened.

5 Likes

10 Likes

LOL. That is pretty funny. Plaintext is for poors, richtext is for ballers!

utf8? i’m using utf32 because more is better…

8 Likes

I’ve been using Atom.

You should check out Visual Studio Code, loads faster, does everything a project focused text editor should do. Even has Vim keybindings.

6 Likes

So, is BoingBoing the new Slashdot?

6 Likes

Mac should always have BBedit :slight_smile:
Or at least Textwrangler (= BBedit Lite).

3 Likes

Our commentariat isn’t even slightly as toxic. So I’d say no.

10 Likes

we are only a ¼ Chan tops. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

This whippersnapper bows to her elder!

1 Like

It is? The last release in the dev channel was in May, and there have been 16 other dev releases just in 2018.

Seriously?!

When I used it (years ago) that was the one thing that it was an absolute pig about.

I might be understanding the term of art because I never played D&D (because I’m not a NERD!!!) (j/k it’s because I never had friends), but what makes BBEdit “chaotic”? BBEdit would wear a bow tie to a party.

I mean, it is true that mainstream coder-sheeple would use the editor built into XCode or Dreamweaver or whatever, so in that sense BBEdit is punk af. But that’s equally true of all the other options.

3 Likes

They’re all chaotic evil: blasphemy and lies existing purely to sow confusion, discord and animosity, rooted in envy and sloth.

1 Like

In response to a challenge from David Weaver; Beskone points out that echoing/catting to file is not text editing and Pico/GNU Nano belongs in True Neutral.

And Word isn’t a text editor, it’s a word processor.

2 Likes

Personally, I usually use Geany when I’m editing source code, because it’s light, fast, and low on bullshit. I started using Atom, despite its bloat, because it supports Ren’Py formatting. With the right packages installed, I can properly edit, run, and debug Ren’Py scripts without having to open anything besides Atom. I value that convenience.

Beskone points out that echoing/catting to file is not text editing and Pico/GNU Nano belongs in True Neutral.

Sounds like he was bashing that choice.

6 Likes

I suspect that this was…deeply not…his reason; but now I’m curious if (probably by virtue of RTF’s less-than-totally-systematic evolution as a ‘standard’ and exploitation of differing conventions for comments and escape sequences) constructing RTFs that will both open in Word without egregious violence and compile without incident is doable.