Alignment chart of text editors

Scrivener must be lawful good. So helpful, so much metadata.

3 Likes

not that great for editing code, iirc.

God help me but I still have a folder full of basic programs in my backups, in a folder named NE. I miss Norton Editor.

A lot of these programs are still running in controllers and front ends of operating building automation systems. Problem is the controllers are still running, but replacement are not available so the backups are useless. I am presently pulling out 80 controllers in a building I programmed in 1994.

2 Likes

Visual Studio Code is the way to go. Open source, multi-platform, free, etc. The worst thing about it is the name - it has nothing to do with Visual Studio. I suspect a fair amount of resistance to it comes just from the name.

6 Likes

At first, I was like “What the hell,” but then I remembered how I religiously practice vim commands once a week, not unlike an acolyte trying to please an elder god through prayer.

5 Likes

RTF has magic bytes “{\rtf1” so I think that it precludes up any possibility of it working by chance, unless it’s some handcrafted weirdness. My honest guess: My editor did syntax highlighting and so he was trying get the same colors, adding them by hand in WordPad, thinking that the colors were an important part of the syntax. It’s the most reasonable insane thing I can think of that fits. (The code failed cursory visual inspection too.)

I could never get the guy into a conversation of more than a few seconds to find out what was going on.

3 Likes

Bring back LotusWorks!

Wow. Student encounters first stage simulacrum, accidentally crafts second stage simulacrum while attempting to produce third stage because he views computer science as a fourth stage simulacrum meaningful only in the context of passing the class.

That, or enough cargo cult to convert all available matter into bamboo models of 1940s American militaria. Hopefully the SCP foundation is on the case.

2 Likes

Correct. I’d place Emacs (and lisp) as chaotic good. There are no rules in lisp, you can change the most basic syntax if you want.

True neutral should be ed. It is, after all, the standard editor.

3 Likes

(shrug) I’m partial to Visual Slickedit. Not substantially better or worse than any other programmer’s IDE, but I’m comfortable with it.

Oh, that’s easy in Vim:

vim -O file1.txt file2.txt

shift-v to highlight a line of text in file1

d to delete the line and copy to vim’s own special clipboard

ctrl-w, ctrl-w (twice) to switch to file2

Move cursor to position then enter “p” for paste. If you are having trouble moving around, consult documentation or randomly mash the keyboard until you figure it out.

Couldn’t be simpler, really.

(edit: forgot a step)

3 Likes

VSCode is really nice. As for the “Visual Studio” part of the name, it’s missing the best and worst aspects of Visual Studio:

best: its integrated debugger
worst: every other aspect of how it works

2 Likes

Yeah that don’t work so well copying form a web form to an email or the other way round, or spreadsheet, etc, etc.

2 Likes

I’m not quite sure what you’re getting at, here. Are you implying that Vim is somehow deficient?

2 Likes

Not the right tool for my day job.

1 Like

I consider VI to be the Dwarf Fortress of text editors.

Decent and full featured but with utterly impenetrable UI/controls for newcomers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Like Dwarf Fortress, i run away screaming in search of something more user friendly :wink:
(nano for linux and notepad++ for windows usually)

6 Likes

After years on Sublime Text, I finally settled on VS Code.

What I mean is I know very few people who haven’t switched to VS Code. It’s really seen varid rapid adoption

zoidberg-bad-pun

4 Likes

That pun was korny; and I was practically bourne for terrible puns; so I feel OK about it.

8 Likes