All the Second Life rabbits are doomed, thanks to DRM

The live/dead status of Second Life rabbits may be a moot point, but their existence is clear.

10 Likes

Honestly, Im more surpised that anyone is still using SL than by the planned obsolescent rabbits.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t it be simple enough for some lagophile to do some coding and give away endless free rabbits?

5 Likes

You mean “real money” as opposed to some arbitrary symbol system designed to lock people into a game economy? It’s a relief that people would not be gullible to fall for that in “real life”.

7 Likes

You are right. i see the light now. I take everything back. Cory, it appears Second Life is too irrelevant to write about. You’ll have to retract this article.

5 Likes

Yep.

Of course, it is exactly this sort of thing, that makes Europeans, Kiwis, Aussies et al resistant to GM foods. Monsanto isn’t immune to lawsuits, or even bankruptcy, and it isn’t even unlikely that one day the human food chain would be served with a S’n’D order.

Personally, I think the people/Peoples who imagined the idea of sterile seeds (and pets which can’t eat if it doesn’t suit a suit, it is exactly the same concept), have committed crimes against Humanity, and there should be a crusade, and not just them, but anyone who was not in and of the mob-with-torches should be burnt alive. Shakespeare was very precise in his speech as a matter of course. “The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers”. Clearly he would have gone on to add late stage capitalism proponents to his list.

3 Likes

“Pounded in the butt by a sterile Ozimal”?

16 Likes

Obviously it did.

Software isnt something that lasts forever. Thinking otherwise is the funny part.

Bits exist as far as the software involved runs but existence of what they represent in this case? Debatable at best.

See for example the recent gnashing of teeth when the elite secret superior users thread was deleted from the BBS.

Oh no its taken us thousands of years to reverse engineer his DNA protocol.

2 Likes

Second Life rabbits; virtual bunnies. I don’t see any tenable debate.

1 Like

Is “Malkavyn” a real name, and if so how can I change it to this?

5 Likes

Stuff like this has already happened in SL. Way back around 2006/2007 when there was a voting system for escalating patching/bug fixeroos/new features which resulted in Pony Linden being freed. Pony Linden was an object in Ahern that residents could ride (for free) and is findable as a resident in Search even though its an object. There was enough of a VSJW (V for virtual) thing going on back then that there was an outcry over virtual free pony rides as being virtual animal abuse. After being freed Pony Linden wound up being married to Bub Linden.

3 Likes

Pony Linden wasn’t an object. It was a regular Linden account with an avatar animation that forced it into a 4-legged pose. So just another avatar.

Source: Me, when I worked for Linden Lab in 2005/2006 and logged in as Pony once (as well as Governor Linden and other utility accounts).

9 Likes

The idea of virtual bunnies is pretty funny, but in the end they’re software — software that people bought for entertainment.

There are too many examples of software — and hardware — getting bricked because the seller’s server goes offline. This particular bit of entertainment software was designed to fail. I feel sorry for the people who paid for Ozimal software.

4 Likes

Money isn’t real. But I take your point.

2 Likes

Late stage capitalism? You wish. What we are seeing now is just the warming up and stretching before things really get going.

2 Likes

Software gets bricked for all kinds of reasons, far more reasons than DRM or servers going offline.

Things stop working, functions get screwed up due to bugs or combo bugs or get caught in the cross fire of patches and security fixes, because libraries changed, etc and so on.

Here in this case were talking about software toys. Not something that runs a business or is important to society functioning in an orderly way. Toys.

Real toys break as well too.

2 Likes

I love that comment so much I want to pound it in the butt and write a short form digital novella about the meta-irony of the experience.

7 Likes

Apparently to join flickr I need to sign in with yahoo.

I didn’t have all this bureaucracy when I joined the Bavarian Illuminati. The modern world is getting far too complicated.

10 Likes

Wow. I couldn’t have made this up!

4 Likes