All the Second Life rabbits are doomed, thanks to DRM

Second Life will slowly be engulfed in impenetrable digital kudzu

Or knights searching for the Holy Grail.

4 Likes

Remember when it used to be frowned upon here to inject politics into unrelated threads?

3 Likes

Thanks for the new information that Pony Linden was an avatar. Greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Ordinarily I avoid doing so, but the joke was too apt and the actual topic too trivial that I decided to go for it.

5 Likes

Eh, no big surprise there, as with most OSS it’s just not documented very well.

5 Likes

Who still hangs out on Second Life? More than half a million people

5 Likes

No no… that’s indeed all the stuff that I thought was hilarious.

4 Likes

First World Second Life Problems

9 Likes

If I was the king of the internet I would ban advertising transactions like that as sales or offering lifetime subscriptions. Make them put a definite time frame on it and commit to that.

3 Likes

It must be AWFUL, people poking at your buttons like that.

2 Likes

Nope. Good manners and the internet have mutual restraining orders against each other.

1 Like

So, that’s what’s happening to our polar bears! That, and a few thousand other species. All this time I thought it was our fault. Well, that’s a relief.

1 Like

"My name is Ozibunnyrabbit, Thing of Things;
Look on my Static Mesh, ye Lonely, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that virtual Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

@Mister44, Mr and Mrs Eldritch obviously thought that Malkavyn was a perfectly cromulent name. :wink:

@Elex_Dusk, Does Second Life still include an elusive mastermind called Osama Bin Linden?

@Israel_B,

Real toys break as well too.

But isn’t this a bit more like a lawyer coming around and taking a hammer to your TNMT Action Figures because the IP has changed hands?

@lolipop_jones, in the modern political climate there are no “unrelated threads” :wink:

8 Likes

Is it p0rn?

No. Companies go out of business and replacement parts are no longer available or the toy is just old and breaks.

1 Like

DRM is a tactic of government repression on behalf of corporations. It isn’t really completely unrelated.

Edit - Dorothy Parker on Emily Post’s book of Etiquette - “The letters and conversation of the correct, as quoted by Mrs. Post, seem scarcely worth the striving for.”

1 Like

All the code forks on godhub don’t help.

3 Likes

That was my first thought as well. Chuck Tingle ftw!

4 Likes

To all the angry “but it’s just virtual bunnies (lol) on Second Life! (snarf!)”

I know, right!

It’s not like we’d ever have to worry about REAL food and things being affected.

It’s not like, oh, someone is going to put DRM on, what a TRACTOR? That’s unpossible.

8 Likes

And some of them are happy mutants.

Imagine that :wink:

1 Like