Second Life's Trump army lays siege to Bernie Sanders's virtual HQ with swastika cannons

[Read the post]

Does anyone else read that flag as just saying RUMP?

Just to say that I’m glad to see mention of Second Life in any positive way. I’m an old timer there (almost 10 years) and indeed it is a venerable data space, still alive and well.

As for the shenanigans, there’s no better place than Second Life for this!

Unfortunately there are real life Trump supporters too. Half of them are Donald Trump.

I never really understood why other virtual worlds never got the same traction. All the other big ones are games, not just worlds to inhabit. Well, I suppose there’s Minecraft, which is both. When do we get something like Cline’s OASIS?

I’m still waiting for The Metaverse, hopefully I can catch Hiro Protagonist at the black sun and get my ass kicked at virtual swordfighting…

As for this dumpster fire; I have great fondness for Second Life’s…unruly…tendencies(back when it was a fad for companies to have a presence, the various anti-corporate mischief was great fun to watch); but it just doesn’t seem like a great sign when a candidate’s supporters are bombarding the opposition with swastikas. Company you keep and all that.

“The Deliverator’s car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the Asteroid Belt.”

Diablo mio I love that book!

Yes, and I can’t for the life of me see a swastika there.

Someone should tell the Neo-Nazis that Trump’s own wife said that he isn’t Hitler.

That’s where you’ll lose them. It’s a woman’s opinion, not anything important.

It’s possible these are garden-variety SL griefers with no particular political affiliation. Then again, that would make them difficult to distinguish from Trump supporters.

I read ‘ASSHOLE’.

Hunh. Second Life is still a thing? I had figured it dropped into cultural irrelevance alongside anglefire, myspace and Myst.

Can’t say there’s anything here that shifts my opinion, if I’m being honest.

If nothing else, the logo is cleverly designed. So that is something.

Like many things in Second Life, this whole article reads differently if you say

Seven of Bernie Sanders’s fans in the venerable virtual world Second Life have established a HQ, “a Roman-themed hangout space in a peaceful meadow, where up to seven Bernie supporters often gather to share news of their favorite candidate,” but their peace was shattered when four members of 4-chan claiming to be Donald Trump supporters laid siege to the building, firing virtual guns whose rounds exploded into swastika flags at Sanders central.

Numbers just assumed

You’d be surprised. I used to use it quite a bit and had thought the same thing, but a recent peek into Second Life showed that it’s still vibrant, busy, and popular with a wide range of people.

Hunh. Second Life is still a thing? I had figured it dropped into cultural irrelevance alongside anglefire, myspace and Myst.

You figured wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It’s a great framework to make MMO games with. Last year I made this multi-player dogfight thingie:

As far as the Trump thing in SL: I can’t tell whether this is the work of Trump supporters or anti-Trump trolls. Did someone check the swastika flag maker’s profile?

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that people who want Trump to get elected are not going to design and publicize a Trump swastika flag.

It has one of the most intuitive and enjoyable UIs for simple 3D modeling that you can now export to print or tweak further in other programs.