Second Life's Trump army lays siege to Bernie Sanders's virtual HQ with swastika cannons

[Read the post]

1 Like

Does anyone else read that flag as just saying RUMP?

16 Likes

Just to say that Iā€™m glad to see mention of Second Life in any positive way. Iā€™m an old timer there (almost 10 years) and indeed it is a venerable data space, still alive and well.

As for the shenanigans, thereā€™s no better place than Second Life for this!

7 Likes

Unfortunately there are real life Trump supporters too. Half of them are Donald Trump.

I never really understood why other virtual worlds never got the same traction. All the other big ones are games, not just worlds to inhabit. Well, I suppose thereā€™s Minecraft, which is both. When do we get something like Clineā€™s OASIS?

8 Likes

Iā€™m still waiting for The Metaverse, hopefully I can catch Hiro Protagonist at the black sun and get my ass kicked at virtual swordfightingā€¦

As for this dumpster fire; I have great fondness for Second Lifeā€™sā€¦unrulyā€¦tendencies(back when it was a fad for companies to have a presence, the various anti-corporate mischief was great fun to watch); but it just doesnā€™t seem like a great sign when a candidateā€™s supporters are bombarding the opposition with swastikas. Company you keep and all that.

22 Likes

ā€œThe Deliveratorā€™s car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the Asteroid Belt.ā€

Diablo mio I love that book!

12 Likes

Yes, and I canā€™t for the life of me see a swastika there.

1 Like

Someone should tell the Neo-Nazis that Trumpā€™s own wife said that he isnā€™t Hitler.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s where youā€™ll lose them. Itā€™s a womanā€™s opinion, not anything important.

21 Likes

Itā€™s possible these are garden-variety SL griefers with no particular political affiliation. Then again, that would make them difficult to distinguish from Trump supporters.

19 Likes

I read ā€˜ASSHOLEā€™.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Hunh. Second Life is still a thing? I had figured it dropped into cultural irrelevance alongside anglefire, myspace and Myst.

Canā€™t say thereā€™s anything here that shifts my opinion, if Iā€™m being honest.

5 Likes
3 Likes

If nothing else, the logo is cleverly designed. So that is something.

4 Likes

Like many things in Second Life, this whole article reads differently if you say

Seven of Bernie Sandersā€™s fans in the venerable virtual world Second Life have established a HQ, ā€œa Roman-themed hangout space in a peaceful meadow, where up to seven Bernie supporters often gather to share news of their favorite candidate,ā€ but their peace was shattered when four members of 4-chan claiming to be Donald Trump supporters laid siege to the building, firing virtual guns whose rounds exploded into swastika flags at Sanders central.

Numbers just assumed

17 Likes

Youā€™d be surprised. I used to use it quite a bit and had thought the same thing, but a recent peek into Second Life showed that itā€™s still vibrant, busy, and popular with a wide range of people.

4 Likes

Hunh. Second Life is still a thing? I had figured it dropped into cultural irrelevance alongside anglefire, myspace and Myst.

You figured wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Itā€™s a great framework to make MMO games with. Last year I made this multi-player dogfight thingie:

As far as the Trump thing in SL: I canā€™t tell whether this is the work of Trump supporters or anti-Trump trollies. Did someone check the swastika flag makerā€™s profile?

7 Likes

I think itā€™s pretty safe to assume that people who want Trump to get elected are not going to design and publicize a Trump swastika flag.

It has one of the most intuitive and enjoyable UIs for simple 3D modeling that you can now export to print or tweak further in other programs.

3 Likes