"Almost Famous" will be a stage musical

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/25/almost-famous-will-be-a-st.html

3 Likes

8 Likes

Don’t like the movie, don’t like musicals, or both?

1 Like

It’s the under age sex right?

Perhaps an opportunity to enlighten people on consent.

6 Likes

Like the movie. Cameron Crowe gets a lifetime pass from me for Say Anything and Singles.

I don’t like most musical adaptions of movies these days. It seems kinda lazy, nobody seems to write memorable songs for the stage anymore.

5 Likes

Nah, I found that kind of unrealistic.

If I was 15 years old, I would have loved to be molested by Anna Paquin, Fairuza Balk, and that other woman. His objections hit a false note.

Kind of reminds me of the SNL “Teacher Trial” sketches

2 Likes

Personally i’m looking forward to this, it could be pretty fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting article. I would never have thought that about that scene - but I guess that was the author’s point.

2 Likes

But Almost Famous was a flop at the box office. Rather unjustly too, as it’s better than those other two Crowe movies you mentioned.

A stage adaption, if it’s successful and turns out well, will expose it to a lot of people who didn’t get around to seeing it the first time.

1 Like

3 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about this as it’s one of my favorite movies of all time. I’m a little younger than he is and in 1980, I pretty much had that exact mom dropping me at a concert in the station wagon moment. He had me from that moment on. Also, everyone was great in the film - especially Philip Seymour Hoffman - and the story/writing was fantastic.
“How can you tell, I’m just one of the out of focus guys!”

2 Likes

This is the reason I never watched the movie - the DVD/VHS cover (At least here in the UK) was all about the Lolita and nothing to do with (what I think) is the story.

I could never bring myself to pick it up/suggest it/ rent it.

1 Like

If it were a story about Penny Lane explicitly I’d say you are right but, it’s about more than that. It’s a good movie. You should watch it.

2 Likes

Yeh it’s a fantastic movie. Penny is an important character to the plot but isn’t the focus of the story, it’s more the relationship between the kid reporter, his mom, and the lead guitarist of the band.

2 Likes

Here’s hoping the keep the best song from the movie, which didn’t make the sound track:

“Dear Jill” from Blodwyn Pig. It has an exquisite short sax solo, really a thing of beauty, if you have never heard it:

1 Like

Spoiler alert

One of my favorite scenes from any movie is when Russell thinks he’s at Penny’s house.
“There’s hope for you yet, Russell.”

1 Like

You dredged up sad memories of what TVguide.com did to the Jump the Shark Website. :frowning:

2 Likes

Lol his look of utter confusion is priceless

1 Like

Have Crow got the rights to use the Song “Tiny Dancer” for the Musical? It the one song that I remember from the movie.

2 Likes

One of the best scenes.

Sing along everyone!

2 Likes