Alt-Right Rally And Counter Protest In Berkeley

Don’t forget that all anarchist are a global cabal meeting in smoky rooms to plan their violence throughout time, exactly as Ubisoft fortold in the Assassin’s Creed scrolls.

10 Likes

I believe it. Look at the way they all dress the same and use the A-in-a-circle symbol.

3 Likes

Thanks for the anecdotal data! Round 'em all up?

What is anarchist extremism? Anarchism is a belief that society should have no government, laws, police, or any other authority. Having that belief is perfectly legal, and the majority of anarchists in the U.S. advocate change through non-violent, non-criminal means. A small minority, however, believes change can only be accomplished through violence and criminal acts…and that, of course, is against the law.

7 Likes

Not sure what you’re getting at.

6 Likes

Well, that does it. All the Marines are bad guys. Lock 'em up! /s

10 Likes

At least the Philadelphia Two have gone to trial and been convicted so we can definitively… oh, right.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/crime_courts/marine-convicted-of-sex-offenses/article_e0b56acf-9264-5a59-821e-e55d75d17e6b.html
5 Likes

That’s some nice whataboutery everyone.

1 Like

If I stab someone with a knife that’s violence. If I cut vegetables with a knife that’s not violence. We don’t just throw it all under “freedom to use knives” and pretend we can’t tell one from another.

It’s obvious that some speech is violence (offering money to kill someone, for instance) . In most countries, where free speech is balanced against other rights, people nod and agree that obviously verbal contracts to kill are unacceptable. In America, where free speech seems to be held as absolute, people say that doesn’t really count as speech (somehow, regardless of the fact that it is literally a person speaking).

Either way, there is some set of criteria that are applied to determine what speech is not allowable and what speech is. We can debate those critera, we can tell the difference, just like we can with knife use. We can also debate whether the criteria we are using are the right ones. Throwing up our hands and acting like all arguments are necessarily equal doesn’t make sense.

Are you confusing anti-fascists for anarchists? I think of anarchists as generally peaceful and anti-fascists as generally violent. Anti-fascism is basically a ready-for-violence ideology. One of the main justifications for the second amendment you hear from second amendment defenders is that the people may one day have to defend themselves from a fascist government. I think it is a very common (probably majority) opinion that when dealing with real, live fascists violence is actually the answer, it’s what qualifies as a fascist that people disagree on (and some people are actual pacifists).

People who go from that to “It’s time to throw fire bombs at French cops” are not people I’m going to defend. But I have a very different opinion of, for example, images I’ve seen of protesters throwing bombs at South African cops during Apartheid.

6 Likes

Exactly.  

1 Like

Breitbat is blaming the “lefty fascists”, who weren’t there, rather than the geared-up Proud Boys etc, who were.

5 Likes

Just creating jobs. /s

2 Likes

Exactly. I’m hoping for once that a sense of misogyny kicks in! :wink:

Because it couldn’t be that LePen is simply the worse candidate?

1 Like

2 Likes

She is. And I was joking, natch. The fact that she’s getting any mindshare at all is mind boggling.

3 Likes

I wonder to what extent people in France are cringing at the idea of electing anyone who might be even badly described as a “French Trump”.

2 Likes

This anecdote would be a good counterargument had I claimed that most former Marines are pacifists.

I still can’t believe that Francois Fillon was described as the French Bernie Sanders. Just about every French Politician except LePen is the French Bernie Sanders. The current President, Hollande, makes Bernie Sanders look like Gary Johnson.

I had originally thought of them as Black Bloc. I completely agree that most people, of whatever political persuasion, are likely to avoid violence.
But we are not really talking about those people. Or at least I am not. The people who are planning and showing up at all these events and committing violent acts refer to themselves in many cases as “Antifa Anarchists”. And they seem to be using symbols and language from both movements. Whether they are authentic Anarchists really does not matter.
If you are a peaceful Anarchist, and worried about your political philosophy being associated with ultraviolence, your issue should not be with me. You should be upset at the guy bashing in skulls in the name of your movement.
https://anarchistnews.org/tags/antifa