Amazing dad builds submarine crib for kid

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/16/amazing-dad-builds-submarine-c.html

4 Likes

Baby [in the crib, with that certain look; you know the look]: “Torpedoes away!!!”

9 Likes

Chemical warfare…

8 Likes

Hazmat Babies!

7 Likes

Hopefully the safety of fiberglass too.

9 Likes

What a Dad could do for his kid in 1978 with a bunk bed, plywood and some paint…

I slept up top and had a fire hall for my Tonka trucks and desk underneath…oh the good old days :wink:

15 Likes

He’d better put safety warnings all over it or someone will sue him when they test it in their pool.

3 Likes

About 1967, a kid at school had a Batmobile in his basement. Not really, his father built under the basement stairs something that looked like the dashboard of a Batmobile. It seemed really neat at the time, I onky have a vague image now. The TV show was on, so I asume it derived from that, but I later gathered that some knew about the comic before the show. I was a Superman guy.

2 Likes

Just beautiful. Certainly better than this classic childhood disappointment:

7 Likes

Amazing dad builds submarine crib for kid himself

Seriously, I wouldn’t know or care what my crib looked like if my parents hadn’t reused it two more times.

Nothing against his crafting skills, though. Top notch decorating.

7 Likes

Conservatively guessing circa 1969 for the sub advert. So – factoring in inflation – that was about 50 bucks equivalent for the sad pseudo sub. For soldier play back then (for much less than the tenth of the cost, or zero bucks if you happened to see one out on the curb), a huge cardboard box would be acquired; opened at both ends and ‘powered’ by a couple of crawling kids inside it, it worked beautifully as a ‘tank’, mowing down laughing, obliging neighborhood kids “in the way”. We never had the sub, but I’ll bet it was nowhere near as fun as our cardboard ‘tank’.

4 Likes

But the ad made the submarine so appealing. Until anyone ordered, it was always such a neat thing, and way better than a box. The seller had the advantage of comic books, a drawing can be made up, but a photos requires something concrete. But comic books didn’t run photos.

I never sent my money away, so the illusion remains. It’s only the kids who sent their hard earned money that know otherwise, and now in the internet age can warn others.

3 Likes

Of course! :grin: It’s a toy ad!

I remember it from back then. Both my brother and I howled at it (since we were ‘sensitive’ to toymaker subterfuge), which likely means that many other kids reacted the same way. Still, I don’t look down on any kid for buying into it. But the parents, though? So much to answer for! :wink:

2 Likes

That is so cool, but it’s so wasted on a 1 year old. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not actual submarine. Am disappoint.

2 Likes

Awesome construction, however…

… considering such a technical achievement it’s disappointing to see such an immense fail in terms of ignoring basic sleep science…

… that is, installing bright blue-spectrum LED lights, which as everybody surely knows by now is the fastest way to zap the natural sleep hormone melatonin at night…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.