Dad builds a VW microbus bed for his daughter

[Permalink]

1 Like

I might need some of those parts.

4 Likes

… then realized the door to his daughter’s bedroom was only 36 inches wide.

6 Likes

Dad builds a VW microbus bed for his daughter the internet adoration.

2 Likes

Or “Dad builds VW microbus bed because he wants to, expects 3 year-old daughter to sleep in it.”

It’s kind of a neat project, but did his 2 and 1/2 year old really say “Daddy, Daddy, I want you to make me a bed that looks like a 1970’s microbus!!”

2 Likes

Aw, don’t be so Skeptical. How many kids know exactly what they’re gonna like before they see something like it?

Even when I was twice her age, I doubt it would have occurred to me to want a bed on top of a VW bus, but the moment I saw one, I would have coveted it. Kinda like I do now.

6 Likes

First thought: way cool.

Second thought: heartbreaker when she outgrows it.

1 Like

FastForward: Dad dies when she’s 5; refuses to stop using the bed when she outgrows it, instead learns woodworking, metal-shop skills to extend and repair bed; takes bed to college dorm; eventually, takes bed to Washington when she is named the nation’s first female Maker General (a cabinet-level post added after the 2027 economic collapse and subsequent crash program in nationwide self-sufficiency).

3 Likes

Dad builds a VW microbus bed for his daughter, for HIMSELF. :wink:

My daughter has been asking me to get “a Herbie” since she was 4.

2 Likes

I can never get anyone to give me a “Herbie”…

2 Likes

Maybe you should change your approach.

2 Likes

“Please, Baby, please, Baby, please, Baby, please!”? [shrug]

Loving dad builds whimsical bed so three-year-old daughter can sleep out in the driveway under the stars.

Damnit Daddy! I wanted a 21 window!!!

2 Likes

No self-respecting kid would want a 21-window over a 23-window.

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned, the best gifts connect the interests of the giver and receiver. VW camper vans are cool - I don’t think she’ll have any trouble falling in love with it and it will mean a lot that her dad took the time to build it for her. I’m also happy that he shared it online - I’m also interested in making cool stuff for my kids and if I find something that sparks an idea, it makes me and my kids happy too.

It looks like a normal single bed size - as long as she doesn’t get too heavy I can’t see why she couldn’t keep using it for years. Hopefully he remembered to construct it so that it can be assembled and disassembled easily. If so, he shouldn’t have any trouble getting it through a normal door.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.