Amazing fire rescue

On spring break in Daytona a while back, I got some practice jumping from balcony to balcony 15 stories up. Inebriatedly, of course.

not having piles of easily combustible material is a good thing

It’s wood-frame construction, dude: the whole thing is a pile of easily combustible material until the gypsum board and exterior sheathing go up on the walls.

3 Likes

Definitely didn’t have ANY of its fire safety construction completed. What most people don’t realize in a wood-frame building is that the gypsum board on the walls is the main thing preventing a localized fire from becoming a full-on conflagration. The construction was still in its relatively early stages - no gyp board on the interiors, no fire-sprinklers installed yet - and so was pretty much a lost cause.

For the record, I work near the building (I could see the smoke from my office), and like an earlier commenter said, there were VERY FEW people in the building, that day working, fortunately. It wasn’t completely abandoned, but a friend who worked in the building from which the video was shot said that it was fairly empty of people when the fire started.

@awjt He was on the fifth floor (four stories of wood-frame construction atop a concrete ground floor). That’s about 48’ off the ground at a minimum (possibly as high as 60’, depending on the height of the concrete plinth).

1 Like

a 2x4 is not really a pile of combustible material like a pile of sawdust is.

A 2x4 might take 30 seconds longer to combust, true, but it’s impracticable to clean up every little pile of sawdust at the end of the day, particularly on projects at the scale of this one. Regardless of whether there are piles of sawdust lying around (there are on every stick-built project, with the exception of ultra-luxury residential, and then only if you have an OCD Construction Administrator), every wood-frame project is a tinderbox waiting to go up until it’s gyp-boarded and has exterior sheathing in place.

(I say this as a building industry professional with several years of wood-frame and concrete structure Construction Administration under my belt, in sectors from multi-family,like the project in the video, to ultra-luxury single-family).

2 Likes

They both burn, and kiln dried lumber does catch fire rather easily. We sometimes use it as kindling at home (say after a reno project, and there are scraps) because it catches so damned easily.

I have photo that shows the fire starting on the roof near the AC units (sorry, new user and can’t upload pics). It could definitely have been copper brazing that started it.

1 Like

I see, and how do you know before watching it ?

Oh my god, that was amazing ! Jesus, that guy almost had to jump, O-M-G but thank god he’s okay now jesus I was god god almost jesus worried that the moses firemen would not get there in time.

It reminds me of the reporter interviewing someone after a tornado : “you must thank god for being still alive”.

I watched it, which is how I knew the audio was useless and everybody else could mute it. You’re welcome.

1 Like

Brazing, or poorly installed electric. Or a cig butt tossed. Lots of things could have happened.

1 Like

That wasn’t a reporter, that was Wolf Blitzer.

3 Likes

They’re common figures of speech. It’s not an impromptu prayer meeting; I know plenty of atheists who talk the same way.

It’s weird that you find it so obtrusive.

To be fair, it’s mostly the repetition that I find obnoxious, it would be the same if they kept saying fuck over and over.

The only saying that really annoys me is “thank god”, but it’s just a pet peeve.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.