Amazon offers pork spray to protect from "Muslim rape gangs"

I don’t think it counts as doxxing. No direct phone number, and the address maps to a UPS Store where there is, ostensibly, a PO Box, though that isn’t listed either. At most, the new knowledge given is that this distasteful individual gets their business mail through a commercial private mailbox service, which hardly represents anything uncommon or unusual for small businesses.

4 Likes

But my Arsehole is already repellent! :open_mouth:

Edited for the fact that I can’t seem to spell.

3 Likes

If this wasn’t about protecting against rape, maybe I could understand joking about it. But it is, so I don’t - especially the details.

7 Likes

Rape jokes aren’t funny, y’all. Neither is Islamophobia. Nothing about this stupid things warrants a single guffaw. :woman_shrugging:

19 Likes

Most of us know very little about each others cultures. It’s the unwillingness to learn that’s the real tragedy. I’m by no means an expert on other religions, but like to learn. To do that, I’ve had to expose my ignorance more than once. Most people won’t do that.

I used to joke back and forth with a colleague who was strict Orthodox. We had a good relationship and could ask each other dumb stuff. I’d ask silly questions like how do sundown rules work in orbit? Answer: “Jews weren’t space-faring 5000 years ago when they made these rules.” Hmmm, good point.

My favorite was at lunch one day. Just before biting into a cheeseburger, I said “You’ll never be able to know what a cheeseburger tastes like.” Him: “Not true. I just can’t swallow.”

Two ignorant questions, but I learned from both.

1 Like

You’re mistaking being ignorance of something for active bigotry, which is what is happening with this “product”.

8 Likes

Pointing out the absurdity of it can’t be funny?

Otherwise, how is this supposed to work? Yell out “I’ve sprayed myself with a pork product!” so that they know to stay clear?

I’m not defending them, I’m agreeing with you. I called out unwillingness to “understand how that works”, not the ignorance itself. The unwillingness would seem to be one of the facets of active bigotry.

What’s absurd is that you refuse to see the difference between a defensive product applied to an attacker, and a product a person applies to one’s person for a very different reason. I continue to find your focus on this and unwillingness to stop to be offensive (like your “joke”). You want to learn about other cultures? My suggestion is that you study more about rape culture. I’m done discussing this with you.

10 Likes

This is one of those things where my brain is going in 10 different directions as a result - thinking about the racism/right-wing propaganda that it’s based on, the scam going on, the general Islamophobia, etc. but also the utter stupidity of it. Leaving aside that the prohibition is against eating pork, not being sprayed with it, how is it supposed to work? The user has to explain, in a loud clear voice while presumably being attacked, before activating it, that it contains pork?

Words fail me.

4 Likes

Uh, while I appreciate the utter absurtity of this product and the amount of snark this topic is about to produce, can we please refrain from rape jokes? Dark comedy or not, they aren’t welcome here.

22 Likes

Of course they are different. But they still stem from the same stupid idea using pork spray as a defense. It’s like the anti-tiger rock. Those are both stupid ideas ripe for ridicule. I’m ridiculing the spray and the people that would take those ideas seriously. If you knew someone who sprayed themselves with pork, wouldn’t you laugh at them?

Maybe it’s the fear that is driving women to seek out protection that you think I’m making fun of. That fear is real and not funny. Fear of muslim gangs as the specific source, yeah, I’m making fun of Islamaphobia. If pepper spray wasn’t enough protection, but with pork is, then the logical extension is to dispense with the pepper spray. That’s ripe for ridicule!

Edit: One last thought: Did people think I meant some rapist asking what she was wearing? God no! That wasn’t my intent, and if it came across that way, I am VERY sorry and want to apologize. I was envisioning some woman meeting her date at a restaurant or something. And him making small talk. Like in all those perfume ads or something. So in that regard, if I have to explain the joke, then yeah, it’s not funny.

This could probably be used as a seasoning.

1 Like

comedy is hard

3 Likes

I do not think listing the seller info if anyone else wants to report it is doxxing. If it is, I will remove it.

Seems like doxing to me because you posted it as the address people should direct their rage to but you haven’t bothered to verify the address. It’s a UPS Store. But it could have been someone else’s address, an innocent party or who knows.

This entire topic was a bad idea, IMO.

6 Likes

Boing Boing is not one to shy away from topics just because they may be incendiary. I mean who else but Rob is going to shed light on this?

4 Likes

*shrugs

Given the double-whammy of the inherent misogyny and Islamphobia of the product, I’d have thought chum bucket BS like this would be beneath him AND BB.

This is far too close to the intentional kind of troll-bait that used to be the main content of the right leaning cesspool of a forum I was on, before finding the mutants.

O_o

But I won’t go on complaining; that’s what ‘mute thread’ is for.

7 Likes

Actually I posted it so anyone else who wants to take the time to report a violation of Amazon’s seller rules to Amazon has the infomation listed by the seller of the violating product to aid in identification of the offensive product. Instead of needing to search for the product or seller and thus encouraging Amazon’s algorithms to cause that product to pop up more. I did not provide a link for that reason. No verification is needed- this is the information the seller listed on Amazon.
I never intended nor do I encourage anyone to contact the seller of the product.
If @orenwolf or any other moderator thinks posting the information provided to Amazon by the seller skirts too close to doxxing, I will edit the post.

4 Likes