Amazon's The Man in the High Castle

[Permalink]

1 Like

So just like Blade Runner, Minority Report, Total Recall, The Adjustment Bureau then…

I quite liked the pilot. When is the series proper available?

2 Likes

Came here to say the same - I really enjoyed the pilot

1 Like

That novel is one of my most and least favourite Dick novels.

The representation of people living under occupation was truly brilliant, as were the minds of the Japanese administrator, Fink, and some of the other characters. It could have done without the I Ching bollocks, but that’s my own opinion (and with PKD you take the staggering genius with the weapons grade bollocks as a rule).

I think I am likely to love this show if they can capture the notion of North Americans as culturally colonized peoples as well as PKD managed it - I’ve never seen anyone else come close. But I have doubts that an American production is going to be able to make that conceptual leap.

4 Likes
 Amazon's The Man in the High Castle is thematically the story Dick wrote it is not that story.

I’m sorry. That sentence hurts my head. What does that mean?

And yes, definitely some of Dick’s best work.

3 Likes

If the preview of TMitHC is any indication of the quality of Amazon’s efforts to produce shows, I am very excited. While it does deviate from the book, it remains true to and respectful of the world PKD created.

1 Like

Well if this production grew out of the early BBC attempt at an adaptation, or if that pilot was originally produced for the BBC, then its probably not entirely and American production. Though everything I see online lists it as such, and it was shot in the US. We have some English cast and Ridley Scott producing. I’d guess that we’re looking at one of those increasingly common “international” productions, where production might be based in one nation and geared toward that nation specifically. But the actually people, companies and money involved is a lot more varied.

Meh Nazis are kinda overused … don’t know what’s more boring … perhaps Zombies. Schnell, Schnell make a Zombie Nazi series.

Explains why it grew out of an BBC adaption. There is this strange Nazi fetish the British have - probably to compensate for their inferiority complex after WW2 (losing their empire, loser Germany as an economic phoenix during Cold War etc).

1 Like

It just so happens the I Ching bollocks was my favorite part of the book, whereas the occupation setting struck me as the least interesting. The world is a weird place!

Or, it could be a major plot point by the original author. It’s not like the BBC thought “Nazis!” That was PKD.

2 Likes

Holy shit did I leave a mess there. Fixed. Sorry.

1 Like

I absolutely loved the pilot. I saw it a couple weeks ago, and I’m clamoring for the full series. Unfortunately I don’t think it will be released until 2006. Number 2, prepare my cryo-chamber, stat!

Or 2016?

2 Likes

I read somewhere that it won’t be released until 2016

2 Likes

The pilot shows potential, I’d like to see where they go with it.

2 Likes

Can’t see the pilot, I’m guessing that the link redirects me to Amazon.ca where it’s not available. I’m curious to eventually check it out, though.

2 Likes

I’m a deep enough PKD fan to have read the first 3 chapters of his abortive attempt at a sequel to “Man in the High Castle”, which concerned power struggles among the Nazis in America. It looks like the show creators are integrating and playing with this as well.

And, I am so happy to agree, they are doing a fine job of it. The pilot is basically the best show I’ve seen occur through Amazon yet, and I am very eager for the series. I have also read that the pilot got the most positive feedback Amazon has ever received.

2 Likes

I was disappointed that the whole fake-or-real antiques theme seemed to be gone, for me that was a great part of the book. But maybe that’s how great the PKD is- you can leave something important out and still have so much great stuff to work with that you can still get something interesting.

Double meh. I WANT this to be good, but I’m afraid that Dick’s skewering of the American psyche is going to be left out in the interest of telling a good Nazi story. And making us Americans feel good about ourselves. Here’s the flag I’m going to be looking for: black slaves in chains again working the white man’s plantations. Don’t we all know well enough that if the Third Reich came to America, a certain segment of the population would embrace it as a revival of southern traditional values? I think in the book slavery had been reinstituted in the South. I wonder if the show will veer away from looking at American racism and project it entirely on the occupying bad guys (and their treasonous American flunkies?)

2 Likes