American Airlines employee appears to hit woman with baby stroller, challenges passenger to 'hit me'

This is happening everywhere. Medical offices, supermarkets, etc., etc.

November I had a mole cut off. Dermatologist himself called when we were out. Tried several times to get back to them through the main number. “Sorry, that office is not picking up.” Finally drove over to get the results (in situ melanoma). They can’t have a fucking separate “biopsy results line?”

Fortunately, I didn’t have take a plane.

7 Likes

Yep, and those ASSumptions say way more about them than it does about the woman in the story.

Not even then, sometimes.

This is what happens when when you build a society where the foundation is made of greed and avarice.

17 Likes

So an airline employee draws up a decision tree in their mind: do I act like a rude whiny bastard to this mom with her arms full even though she’s not stowing her stroller in a manner according to the company rule book, OR do I instead think a moment or two on current events and determine there’s some precedent – oh, I don’t know what exactly – to treating passengers like they’re actual human beings and paying customers?

7 Likes

Yes. And other passengers, in my experience, will side with the crew whenever they can, and have no sympathy for fellow passengers with too much/too large baggage.

The recent precedent being, sadly, to leave passengers bloody, possibly unconscious, and missing teeth.

[quote=“cepheus42, post:23, topic:99597”]
Then again, overworking and underpaying employees is part of the problem.[/quote]

FTFY

2 Likes

Because ‘our values’ and ‘how we care for our customers’ are mysteriously not things one can derive empirically by observing what you do; but must be understood prophetically with the assistance of your PR team…

5 Likes

This is the logical child of years of flight attendants being taught that passengers “must” obey anything that comes out of an FA’s mouth.

That little “safety talk” before take off reminds everyone that you must obey the cabin crew’s every utterance. If not, you can be charged with :interfering with a flight crew" or similar Federal charges.

Add one word “safety-related” to it and a lot can be changed. Require any biuzarro commands given have an actual safety reason and some of this nonsense will end.

I was once threatened with possible arrest if I did not pull the blind on my window down during a movie being shown (Back before individual seat screens.) We were flying over bleeping Greenland at the time under a cloudless sky such a rich blue that the ice and snow far below was tinted and the untouched and untrammeled Arctic landscape was beyond incredible. Far beyond whatever edited tripe was up on the screen, which very few people seemed to be paying attention to anyway.

It got resolved finally when passengers seated near me indicated to her they did not mind at all. I don’t think she ever really got over being thwarted in this demand as she was a bit surly to me the rest of the fight.

10 Likes

the “calculated misery” function’s datasets are going to be reshuffled by an algorithm that your sorted social media consumption feeds.

and your social media services will bury and/or remove any complaints tied to their corporate family bottom line.

the revolution will be a spreadsheet. but it will be password protected.

2 Likes

I know! Right?

None of this would happen if the passengers were armed!

7 Likes

One witness account of the incident: American Airlines employee whacks mother in the head | Daily Mail Online

Tom Watson, a first-class passenger, said that he saw the incident, and says that the female passenger responded strongly to the flight attendant’s demand to take the stroller.

‘She refused to let him take it and she was almost to the point of shouting,’ he said.

But he said the flight attendant was ‘aggressive’ as he tried to pull the stroller away from her, and that his demands for security escalated the situation.

He said the stroller struck the woman in the head, and almost hit the kids.

‘The woman knows not to bring the stroller on a plane, she refused to let it go - she was shouting, so she is also at fault in my opinion,’ he said.

‘But don’t get me wrong, the flight attendant should be way more professional than he was.’

2 Likes

/s

(I assume)

2 Likes

Do you have a source that doesn’t have a reputation for making shit up?

15 Likes

when you forget you work, not for United, but for an airline that will actually at least suspend you for that

I mean, Overhead Bins, it’s not like they’re in the aisle or anything.

I will let Archie speak on this issue:

2 Likes

She’s traveling with two babies. Not sure if you have kids, but babies require a ton of stuff that all must be easily accessible at a moments notice. To get around, she has to carry one baby on one arm, push the other in a stroller with her other arm, and carry everything she needs on her back. The first agent who told her she could try finding space likely had sympathy for what she was going through. The second guy had no appreciation and saw the mom as entitled and treated her rudely, yanking the stroller away. The mom, no doubt extremely sleep deprived and already stressed from trying to manage logistics of getting all that through security, dealing with dirty diapers, feeding, etc was probably already at a breaking point and I can totally see why his actions would trigger a strong reaction.

13 Likes

I know how you feel, but it makes me so unbearably sad to hear it from someone else. Want to think about things we can do about it? Little things, like…

• Look officious assholes in the eye and respond politely but with dignity when they’re being ridiculous. Maybe it will make them feel small.
  • Watch Harold & Maude before leaving the house, to get into the right mindset.

What else?

6 Likes

[quote=“ClutchLinkey, post:59, topic:99597”]
What else?
[/quote]

Small acts of empathy and kindness when going about your day. Hold the door open for others, give a homeless person a few bucks (or buy them lunch), smile at people, buy someone coffee, etc.

8 Likes

You’re a gif ninja! I’d hardly hit “Reply” and [poof] there they were.This is right before they do somersaults and howl, if I remember correctly. Also good anti-authoritarian-asshole actions.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, no.

how’s this: http://ktla.com/2017/04/21/video-shows-flight-attendant-telling-passenger-hit-me-following-stroller-incident-american-airlines-investigating/

3 Likes

Ha, in the image of the FB post some genius has to chime in with that nonsense about how it’s against federal law to take pictures on planes.

I don’t have a meme that can communicate how stupid laws are for breaking. I don’t have any memes at all. Naked on the internet.

1 Like