American Airlines forces black doctor to wear blanket to cover up her "inappropriate" dress

It’s racist to single out black women for worse treatment.

It’s not “inherently racist” to point out someone in the story is a doctor.

You can make an argument that society shouldn’t give extra attention to the professional classes, but that’s a type of social classism, not racism.

Absolutely no one has said that only doctors should deserve to wear summer clothes. This just happened to someone who happened to be a doctor, and our society tends to gives a little more attention when it’s a doctor in general.

Shorter: it’s not racist to say Obama was the first black president, but it might be racist to be really bothered that it’s mentioned “too much”.

10 Likes

There is only one appropriate mode of dress.

25 Likes

Contrary to what a lot of folks seem to feel, I don’t have much difficulty keeping up personal boycotts. There are a lot of places/producers I refuse to interact with.

Airlines are an example of a problem with that. They are all shitholes. I can’t avoid flying about four times a year without rather substantial life changes, so I can’t avoid them.

The only way I’ve found to balance it is to try to ensure my ticket costs them money.

9 Likes

Guess they need to put that advisory back, because I can’t see anything “inappropriate” with the passenger’s outfit… which makes me believe that either racism or body-shaming was the likely motivation here, maybe both.

42 Likes

The banality of the outfit is kind of mind boggling, especially considering this is a flight to a coastal region in the summer we’re talking about and that nobody and I mean nobody looks good on a plane. Seems like the staff just want to placate some drunk racist asshat who wanted an aisle seat.

22 Likes

I’ve seen people wear some really questionable outfits at airports that left little to the imagination, worst one was a woman just wearing a flesh colored spandex suit. I had to do a double take to figure out what i was seeing. Still i just walked away to my gate and let that person be and nothing happened.

What this woman is wearing is really cute, love the pattern and colors on her and she looks great. I don’t think that its inappropriate because its not revealing, it just flatters her looks and sadly someone at AA had a problem with that. The thing that i would find most disappointing is that i’m sure some people will see this news and think this is just “outrage culture”.

9 Likes

You’re probably used to rail travel, so you have a sense what’s up. Just know that our rail system can be a little clunky. It’s like a project that we started but never finished. There’s a lot of “You can’t get there from here.” Also, full-on cross country trips will usually take at least three days.

7 Likes

No idea what the “official” motive may have been, but the inappropriate excuse is clearly bullshit; in the pic shown, she’s decently covered and I’ve seen people wear much more revealing outfits than that when traveling.

22 Likes

Came here to say this, glad it’s already being said. Ethos is unrelated to body policing and racial stereotyping and profiling. Nobody needs this, regardless of profession.

The only positive thing I can say is that maybe she’s using her small amount of privilege and platform to draw attention to an issue that impacts everybody with her skin tone and/or body type.

4 Likes

hold on…I think we can all agree that some of the people from Wal-Mart we don’t want dressing like that on airplanes (or anywhere else).

3 Likes

You could try Cunard and Amtrak, that’s what I use to reach Europe. :wink:

When they tell you not to “make as scene”, that’s a tell. They’ve realized they’ve made a bad mistake and that you have power over them.

It’s also a tell that they’re dealing with a woman who, although she’s being calm, is a black woman. No service folk worry that a calm white woman is about to “make a scene.”

IOW, this fear that this calm black woman is about to “make a scene” is another manifestation of the racism at play in this horrible incident.

34 Likes

the absolutely worst thing you can say about her outfit is that her top could easily be pulled off. My response to that is, so what - no one should be grabbing at her top to begin with; and even if it happened by accident, the worst thing someone sees is a boob…whatever. We closed that argument after the 2004 super bowl.

3 Likes

o_0 Inappropriate? That wouldn’t even register as odd of I saw her in the mall. It looks like an out fit for a sunny vacation spot.

7 Likes

Did we?

9 Likes

Yes. its 2019 and I think we finally as a whole said “fuck it”

1 Like

Got caught by the paywall. Is this saying it took 15 years and a man doing it for people to finally get over it? Women still get shamed for breastfeeding in public here.

17 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

And what if her outfit was “inappropriate”? (Too short? Too tight? Too loud?) So what?

Are all the other passengers going to lose their shit? Is the pilot going to be distracted? Is the plane going to crash?

11 Likes

Doctor may your law suite be swift and financially rewarding.

18 Likes