American Airlines forces black doctor to wear blanket to cover up her "inappropriate" dress

Oh. My. God.

Becky, look at her butt!

10 Likes

Wow! Really? Can’t say I’m surprised but, really. I’ve heard tell of grown men removing their slacks and flying the friendly skies in their skivvies. Geez!

You know what bothers me when I fly? Seeing adults in their PJ’s carrying their bed pillow. Certainly not this lady in a summer outfit.
Lame, AL. Lame.

4 Likes

I am not arguing that isn’t the case, nor arguing the pressures and circumstances that transpired being right, wrong, or otherwise.

All I am saying is we are in a much different place in 2019 than in 2004 as a whole. We still have pearl clutching assholes (which is I am sure partially the impetus for this woman’s situation); but the majority of us would say she was dressed perfectly fine.

1 Like

It’s amazing to me that in 2019 this can happen without someone on the flight crew realizing

a) First and foremost, this is a shitty way to treat a person; and
b) This is going to cause a social media shitstorm.

So while it’s easy to criticize the specific individuals involved as pearl-clutching assholes, the fact that they can get an entire flight crew together that permits this to happen suggests that this is due to something systemic in AA. (Oh yeah, and the fact that NAACP issued advisories against them. That is also a clue).

28 Likes

That garment, I like it.

4 Likes

inherently: in a permanent, essential, or characteristic way

Calling out this passenger’s profession is particularly characteristic of racism by attempting to further validate her position using classism to bolster her social standing. “Look… she’s no ordinary person. She’s achieved a notable profession. She’s got social standing. Ergo, her fashion choices cannot be as easily dismissed as ignorant.”

It’s great she’s a doctor. But her treatment was terrible regardless of her profession. The news media wouldn’t feel the need to lead with “white doctor” or even “female doctor” if she was white. Her class order would be “presumed” by her skin color. That’s what makes this statement inherently racist.

6 Likes

The reason people are making a point of saying she’s a doctor is to point out that racism doesn’t go away even when people have other kinds of social influence.

It’s not racist to point out how bad racism can be.

When people made a point of Henry Louis Gates being a distinguished scholar and tenured professor (when he was immediately treated as a house burglar by police) they aren’t trying to “bolster his social standing”. They’re pointing out that even people that society usually treats better, still face racist situations.

People saying that Henry Louis Gates was treated in a racially biased way, aren’t saying that only scholars should be free of racism. It’s the opposite, and it’s not racist to point out how bad racism is.

26 Likes

Points for Sir Mix-A-Lot.

9 Likes

I’m not sure how one could arrange this but it sure would be great the see the majority of the people showing up for a particular flight to all have this outfit on while live streaming.

22 Likes

Coming soon to a flight near you: Social Media Officers

“This is your captain speaking. Welcome on board today’s Enormous Airlines flight to Albuquerque! Joining me on your crew today are First Officer Joan Smith, Our cabin crew headed up by Jack Johnson (not that Jack Johnson, harhar), and our Social Media Officer Skip Bookface! Keep those selfies clean as we reach an altitude of 35,000 feet!”

5 Likes

Yes, @anon27007144 & @anon58667855, Amtrak has problems as an alternative to shitty airlines. 1) Windows don’t open, you breathe the same stale air your whole trip. 2) No eating your own food (that is, food you didn’t buy on the train) anywhere on the train except at your cramped seat. 3) Freight trains have priority over passenger trains so your whole train may often be shunted onto a sidetrack for long periods, messing up your schedule & any transit connections you were hoping to make. 4) Very uncomfortable to sleep on. 5) Expensive. That said, sitting in the observation car through the spectacular American scenery can be a joy, if you have the dough & are not pressed for time.

8 Likes

Wait, so all this time I’ve been tolerating flying next to disgusting, shoeless slobs, all I had to do was get the flight crew to force them to put on a blanket? Why wasn’t this highlighted in my white privilege handbook?

1 Like

San Francisco to Salt Lake City to Denver for the win. Stunning countryside. I was 18 years old, traveling with a very pretty girl, some good buddies, and a good book, but I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the windows.

4 Likes

Ah, that’s where we differ. I believe there are a LOT more pearl clutchers now (or they are just now revealing their true selves), and TPTB are more responsive to them than ever before. On their say-so, the rest of us can expect our rights to be violated at any time. This is probably the first time in US history that I feel comfortable saying I could go into the (recent) past and be much better off.

9 Likes

Could you point to the FAA regulation that allows airlines to use fashion as a reason to deny service to a passenger?

The only inappropriate clothing in this story was the thinly veiled racism.

20 Likes

Honestly, I would say it works the other way. Customer service don’t care if a black person makes a scene, because they can spin it as “Angry Black Person” and this is a warning that “making a scene” will just “make things worse for you.” OTOH, they are actually afraid of white people doing so, which is why they bend over backwards to accommodate.

It’s still racist as hell.

12 Likes

What are you, the fashion police? Or the fascist police?

17 Likes

I felt the same seeing the Pacific from the Coast Starlight (from Oakland to LA) and from the Cascades from Seattle to Vancouver. Third place goes to the Adirondack. Now I’m considering a visit to Montréal when the leaves turn…

6 Likes

I see both men and women of all races wear this little clothing on flights from Hawaii all the time. (Less often on flights to Hawaii.) People tend to forget how cold planes can get, and dress for the local climate. I can’t imagine that a flight attendant assigned to the Jamaica run hasn’t seen it hundreds of times. (Maybe they were just reassigned from the Alaska<->Siberia routes?)

3 Likes