American Airlines threatened to arrest me, says woman whose seat was continuously punched by man sitting behind her

Yeh i will recline sometimes i just feel bad about it. if you are tall true bliss is getting the emergency exit row or better yet that row at the front of coach with no seats in front. I wonder what the average person they use to design those seats looks like.

Reclining your airplane seat is not generally seen as an act of aggression. Punching anything other than air or a punching bag generally is seen as an act of aggression.

Childish douchebag male & airline/flight attendant are both in the wrong here.

Also, now that there is video, I expect the guy to be named & shamed any moment now.

14 Likes

That’s exactly right. See Edward T. Hall’s book The Hidden Dimension for more info.

4 Likes

Guy is obviously being cruel.
I have to fly a lot for work and have had my knees painfully bashed by people reclining hastily. Personally I think the seats on airlines shouldn’t even recline. Space them out fairly, no recline, no ruckus.
But since they do recline, I think there’s a social contract involved. If I need to recline, I always check behind me and sometimes ask if it’s okay. If it’s a super cramped flight, I’ll often ask the people seated in front to give me a warning if they’re going to recline and they usually do.
It sounds like this woman might’ve needed the extra angle but honestly for most of us, the added comfort of reclining those meager inches doesn’t really make up for the discomfort caused to the person behind you, unless they’re really petit.

6 Likes

As I said in the other thread:

Both can be wrong, and are.

Plus, in the chase for profit, the airlines have packed too many seats into too little space. Its reached a point where the FAA needs to step in and set some reasonable standards.

8 Likes

The FBI does actually have jurisdiction. I’m sure they’d tell you take all complaints seriously, but whether they actually do I’m skeptical.

4 Likes

That’s pure speculation. The manbaby punching the seat and the flight attendant attempting to intimidate her are matters of record. Also, representatives of airlines do abusive borderline criminal shit all the time. That industry has burned down all benefit of the doubt and salted the earth where it stood.

20 Likes

If someone cuts in front of you and you respond by escalating to a physical altercation, you’re in the wrong no matter how much of an asshole the other person is.

14 Likes

Thats fair i would like to think that some one wouldn’t behave like that without some larger confrontation but maybe im wrong lol

2 Likes

4’8" and with a low sense of self-worth.

9 Likes

i feel John Dickerson had the take that most aligns with my feelings on this issue. flying is uncomfortable for everyone – why make it WORSE from either side?

4 Likes

That’s understandable, but in this case it requires speculating about the woman who recorded the situation doing something wrong, specifically crushing his knees. Since it’s pure speculation, it’s unfair to place that suspicion on her without evidence other than that the person doing the speculating has had it happen to them by someone else.

5 Likes

He’s the asshole, no wiggle room at all. Did he ever ask her not to recline> What did he think he was going to accomplish by being a dick?

7 Likes

You are definitely wrong.

7 Likes

Give me a break. I’ve never been on a flight where everyone politely agreed to not recline there seats. What fantasy are you living in?

5 Likes

I’m sure given the context of the current regulation-favoring administration, it will be done!

:rofl:

Also, I fly somewhat regularly, a few times a year at least, sometimes more. In my experience, it seems like almost everyone reclines, and almost nobody checks on the comfort of the person behind them before doing it.

Last row sucks, I found myself in it once in the last year, and was like, WTF?! The seat doesn’t recline?! And i dealt with it. Of course I’m 5’6" so that’s a little easier in my case. Although as others have said, being able to recline doesn’t actually solve the lack of floor space issue for taller people.

I did have a little kid kicking the back of my seat throughout a multi-hour flight at one point int he past year or so. I was very nice about asking the kid to stop, but the parents in total ragecore asshole mode tried to pick a fight with me and defended their little angel who clearly could do no wrong. I think the kid realized their parents were actually the assholes, and let up for the most part after that. Chances are they’ll still grow up to be obnoxious, in the image of their parents…

5 Likes

Not to mention that reclining has very little effect on legroom. The distance from the front of one seat to the back of another doesn’t really change much. People fighting over leg room need to take it up with the airlines who demand 4 extra seats on every plane and accomplish that by taking 2” of legroom away from every previous seat.

5 Likes

Citation? I’ve read some airline policies that say that, but I’d never heard it claimed there’s a law restricting photography of airline personnel, equipment, or procedures.

Demanding regulation requiring airlines not to put economy seats so close to each other is something I’m 100% on board with.

15 Likes
5 Likes