American Airlines threatened to arrest me, says woman whose seat was continuously punched by man sitting behind her

I Think its fair to speculate about this kind of thing. I would like to hear why this dude thought his tantrum was justified. We don’t know what the whole interaction was like.

No one’s stopping him.

3 Likes

except possibly his own shame

3 Likes

41% think it’s rude, but 80% do it at least once in a while.

2 Likes

Depends on the airline, a few, like Southwestern are sort of first come first served. When you can choose, people are constrained by price, time and availability, so take a crappy seat. It also doesn’t necessarily inform you on purchase “This is a tremendously crappy seat”.

1 Like

1 Like

Dude should have brought knee-defenders rather than punching the seat.

https://comfyplane.com/product/airplane-seat-stopper-prevent-recline/

On top of every other logical fallacy in your defense of his abhorrent behavior, you fail to consider that he chose the seat that he sat in.

He deserves the indignation of public excoriation. If he’s prosecuted on top of that, mazel tov.

Well im not defending the dude.Did i say that i thought that his behavior was remotely reasonable…

This topic reminds me of why I hate people so much.

We have one side of a story and so many people are so cocksure that the man is wrong and the cute blonde is 100% right. The flight attendants are wrong, the airline is wrong, the man is a demon incarnate, the fellow passengers are wrong, everyone who even points out that we don’t know what happened are wrong.

Internet Posses almost never get it right; and normally become a lynch mob. Might do well to remember that before you saddle up before you hear the other side.

8 Likes

I had an AA FA tell me pretty much the opposite once.

Woman was bracing her leg so I couldn’t recline. I tried to ask her if she needed some extra time to eat/drink/work (her tray table wasn’t down but it’s always better IMO to negotiate / be diplomatic).

She said there must be an issue with the seat and denied blocking the recline.

I asked a FA if I could move, and she told me sorry it’s a full flight, but if there’s an issue with your seat pausing about 10 mins then throwing your full weight back as you depress the button often works and smirks evily.

So it’s definitely AA policy the seat owner decides the recline level and if you don’t like it sucks to be you

2 Likes

According to this they have no policy

You are right and you reminded me of this scene from the movie Big Trouble.

That would depend on if his knees are being hit by the chair reclining to the max or not, which we don’t see in her video. If so, then oh yes, it’s a very painful act of aggression, as I’ve experienced on a number of bus rides.

Unfortunately, that video is an unreliable narrator, so we don’t know.

Perhaps okay in the case of someone selfishly blocking the recline, but in case of the recline trying to occupy the same space as someone’s non-retractable knees, you will do painful damage to someone that will be slow to heal.

To all here discussing the legitimacy of filming strangers in an airplane (or in public, that is) with the intend to publish it without their consent, you could get into great trouble outside the US …
It’s appalling to see this load of videos depicting some sort of disagreeable situations used to threaten/shame/revenge/make a point while exposing strangers without their consent to the world.

2 Likes

No offense, but have you ever been in the last row of an airplane? Because that’s more accurate than you seem to think. The seat ahead of you is literally inches from your face. You can lower the tray table, but you won’t get any work done because you are looking at the laptop screen edge on. It sucks. I had it happen once on a really old 727 (the kind that had CRTs hanging down from the aisles), but thankfully the person ahead of me was accommodating when I asked them to sit up.

2 Likes

Nobody chooses the last row. It’s the seat you get because you are flying on standby and it’s the last one left. He probably didn’t even know it was the last row until he was on the plane, it was just seat 48C or something on his ticket.

2 Likes

I’m 6’4" and in coach if the person in front of me reclines it usually means my knees are jammed into the seat. Every time I’ve had a recliner in front of me I kindly ask if they would put their seat up a little. I’ve done this several times and have not once had anyone reject my request.

If the guy never asked but started punching the seat, he’s the asshole. If he asked an she said “no”, she’s the asshole. Either way, the flight attendant and the airlines in general are the biggest assholes!

7 Likes

It is exactly like that. Seats should only recline at night.

3 Likes

Did you read my replies because yes OFC I have. Yes it sucks. It’s the last row. The person in front of you is not to blame for you being in the last row.

1 Like