American Evangelicals are getting mad at Jesus for being too woke

Originally published at: American Evangelicals are getting mad at Jesus for being too woke | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Tim Kreider nailed this years ago:

47 Likes

homer simpson jesus GIF

27 Likes

There should be something like David Frum’s quote that applies to evangelicals.

If conservatives become convinced they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.

45 Likes

37 Likes

This was noted 15 years ago or more in Christian music

Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the rich
So which one do you want to be?
Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet
But He reaches for the hurting and despises the proud
and I think He’d prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
And I know that He can hear me if I cry it out loud

47 Likes

American evangelical Christianity is an apostatic, heretical movement. Has been for decades.

41 Likes

People dismissing the teachings of Jesus and replacing it with political doctrine? Where have I heard this before?

38 Likes

If Jesus showed up today, he’d be flipping a lot of tables in a lot of churches.

35 Likes

Even earlier, Paul.

22 Likes

So they’re not sure if they like the brown, jewish, asexual refugee guy?

Oh My God What GIF by Jonas Brothers

He seems like a pretty chill dude so that’s why it was funny when he beat the shit out of Satan for several days straight that one time :rofl:

22 Likes

Interpreting “render onto Caesar” as a separation of church and state position seems a bit weird. In context it was saying that the Jews shouldn’t rebel against the Romans and should pay their tribute to Caesar because this life didn’t really matter.

7 Likes

You missed a significant difference. They’re mad about Jesus, not Jesus™.

7 Likes

31 Likes

Essentially the sheeple congregation have woken up. They now realise their leaders are false. They will forge a new morality from their own understanding.

Excited Lets Go GIF
Paul never met a person who had met Jesus and followed his teachings that he didn’t disagree with and over rule because Paul got his teachings from dead Jesus himself. Much more important than the actual living Rabbi Yeshua Ben Yosef. Out of your own arse is the most compelling source of religious dogma.

26 Likes

It’s been true for a while, right-wing “Christianity” was a folk belief based on the political sentiments of the adherents, in ignorance of their own ostensible religious texts and heavily influenced by Ayn Rand. (Very much, “this is what I want to believe, and Jesus agrees with me.”) What’s new is now they’re openly, explicitly rejecting everything Jesus actually taught. Before, there was at least lip-service for some of it.

It’s funny that the Christian right obsession with Satanism (the imaginary version, i.e. the perfect inverse of Christianity) and the Anti-Christ (messianic figure trying to replace Jesus) turn out to be yet more right-wing projection. It’s always projection.

25 Likes

It only took them a couple millennia to notice.

6 Likes

2,000 years of Christian teaching…adios. Tv game show host con man comes along in 2015…’Hello, Handsome. Where’ve you been my whole life?’
And that concludes today’s sermon. (Every Sunday’s sermon for the past 8 years) 88% of white evangelicals voted for tv show host man. They are morally bankrupt and I’m curious what will be said in the coming sermons around the country. Latest indictments mentioned? Victimhood, Satan’s work, what else. There is literally nothing of value left in the Republican party and the American white christian church. Pardon my French: 2 rotting carcasses being ravaged by packs of hyenas, fighting over scraps and dominance. Lovely scene.

13 Likes

18 Likes