Americans are getting fined for goofing off in Canada

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/23/americans-are-getting-fined-fo.html

7 Likes

Take off, eh!

17 Likes

The fine should be one month’s salary or 10 % of their yearly income.
They are endangering people’s lives.

20 Likes

Not being welcome in another country… sounds like we’re getting a taste of our own medicine.

15 Likes

Even with this exchange taking the edge off of the fine, that’s still gotta sting like hell.

Nah. Americans are famous for not paying tickets issued in Canada. Most of them will probably just ignore them until they accrue enough they’re actually threatened with jail time.

8 Likes

Or until they want to pass through Canada again.

5 Likes

Yes, we often take a shortcut through Canada on our way to … to… Where was it again?

1 Like

The place where the Into the Wild bus used to be?

4 Likes

What happens if the Americans want to contest the fine?
(I am thinking that process may a textbook example of the “Law of Unintended Consequences” for everyone involved.)

1 Like

I was teasing. Canada is certainly a destination. Not so much used for passing through to somewhere else. Maybe driving to Alaska?

When America sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with them. They’re bringing the coronavirus. They’re bringing hydroxychloroquine. And some, I assume, are good people.

20 Likes

In a Canadian court? Seems pretty open and shut to me.

5 Likes

They’re more likely to be banned from entry before they pay their fines.

2 Likes

BUILD THE WALL! BUILD THE WALL!

6 Likes

Here in Michigan we used Canada as a shortcut to get to Buffalo, NY.

2 Likes

ec1027e727361b6b89c22f52f98180d4

14 Likes

5 Likes

Over 99% of people who contract the COVID-19 virus will survive.

1 Like

The attitude “rules don’t apply to us” is very common here in the US. Is it the same everywhere?

I’m sure it’s a general human trait but at the same time it often feels like we’ve cornered the market on stupidity. USA! USA! We’re #1! (at being selfish dumb-asses)

So never?