Canadians who use legal weed in Canada will have big problems at the US border

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/17/canadians-who-use-legal-weed-i.html

3 Likes

Always remember that what the regime does in the border zone Constitutional grey area (where almost 2/3s of Americans live) it intends to eventually apply in the rest of the country.

14 Likes

I have no intention of traveling to the US while Trump and/or Pence is president. Most of my traveling is in Europe in any case. Get your shit together, USA.

22 Likes

It’s legal in Canada.
It’s legal in Washington state.
Federal officials at the border enforcing its illegality.
It’s almost like Jeff Sessions is making CBP go full chickenshit/wetblanket in a fit of pique over this situation.

20 Likes

Fun fact border zones of USSR was about 7.5km deep in most places.

9 Likes

For the life of me, as the US becomes worse and worse, I can’t understand why anyone would want to come to the US.

As for Mexicans, somebody should sponsor boat rides to Canadian ports straight out of Ensenada, so they can skip the US altogether. /s

16 Likes

For Cannabis Sake, just legalize weed nation-wide already. I see no reason why it could not be regulated just like alcohol.

12 Likes

Being banned from entering the US sucks. It sucks even if you have no intention of ever entering the US again. You can’t fly over US airspace. For instance, how can you fly from Canada to Mexico without crossing the US?

My friend who was once banned from entering the US after inadvertently overstaying his visa had to fly from Vancouver to Toronto, through Spain in order to get to Mexico. It was his sisters wedding, or else he wouldn’t have bothered.

15 Likes

I suggest that anyone buying legal weed at a store in Canada pay cash, and if you have to provide ID for proof of age, let them see it but not scan it.

You do not want to leave a data trail that could be leaked or eventually “shared” with US Customs.

21 Likes

I, for one, am glad they are protecting us from the dirty, godless hippie heathen Canucks. They can stay up their with their extra snow, devil weed, and their French Quebec.

6 Likes

Ha ha ha!

12 Likes

I’m not at all surprised that US officials don’t recognize the so-called “laws” of any other so-called “country”, but apparently CBP doesn’t even recognize US law.

What if my pension fund or mutual funds own shares in marijuana-related Canadian businesses? What if they just acquired them on the morning I present myself at the border?

Americans, I like your country and many of you, but I won’t be visiting in the next few years.

17 Likes

So that’s the loud cheer I heard coming from north of the border.

6 Likes

Keep out the foreigners!!!

1 Like

100 miles. What a lazy, baseless, arbitrary number. By the looks of that map, I am very close to the 100-mile mark. Quickest route driving to Canada? 3.5 hours, because Great Lakes.

4 Likes

Exactly. It was a bit unenticing already because of the state of everything, but I am not risking getting banned for life. Better to wait out this for a while.

6 Likes

I have faith that one day my country will return to sanity. But it will be a long road.

7 Likes

Won’t be seeing anybody down there for a while - but you’re all welcome to come up here and visit.

4 Likes

Ha! …I know it’s rude but, if he wants this, well…don’t let the door hit you on the way out, Justin.

One thing I wonder about that map - do inland international airports (e.g., Atlanta) create orange dots in the interior covering even more of the country (and in effect something like 90% of the popn)?

7 Likes