Canadians who use legal weed in Canada will have big problems at the US border

No-one’s nailed that answer down, but you can guess which side of the question right-wingers and the surveillance state are on.

11 Likes

Mainly two reasons. Work and family.

The US has a large international workforce, from white collar to migrant labor, who are an integral and essential part of the American economy. The xenophobes are cutting off our nose to spite our face.

My wife was the first generation of her family to be born in the US. She flies internationally a lot for work and I’m terrified of the incremental creep of the unconstitutional fascism of these racist deplorables because beneath the veneer of their xenophobic bigotry most of them really just want to kick out anyone less “white” than themselves (including, eventually, ethnic Jews).

My wife’s parents are naturalized and hold dual citizenship, but a lot of her extended family is still in South America. However awful a country becomes, different parts of a family call different places home and should never have to choose between seeing their relatives and abandoning their home.

This is why the regionalist useful idiots who advocate for various states to secede or be kicked out of the Union should take a long hard look at their own privilege that leads them to advocate the same kind of policies as the assholes that want to build a wall on the US-Mexico border.

10 Likes

Third reason is McRibs.

Also the entertainment industry.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that fall under work?

1 Like

You forgot to include areas surrounding international airports. That should cover most of the rest of the country.

3 Likes

You think what Brad Pitt does is work? Ok sure, it falls under work :wink:

But do they have Mc Ribs?

2 Likes

I think you answered your own question right there… (Follow the money)

1 Like

See the horrible terror that Canada intends to wreak on us!

1 Like

Might be worth the Canadian’s time to go digging through their law books to find something that your average American senator might have done that’s illegal in Canada (own an assault rifle?) and ban them from visiting.

4 Likes

That was my first thought. It’s a very odd situation, like, spatially. For something to be legal in two contiguous regions, yet illegal in between them, raises the kinds of question that are especially interesting when high.

6 Likes

Someone on another forum suggested that Canada, in response, should deny entry to any American who has ever owned a handgun.

Also, I wonder if this law will be applied to the Dutch? (Yes, I know cannabis isn’t actually legal here in NL, but it’s officially tolerated and sold openly)

4 Likes

Greatest Country In The World™©®

If You Don’t Like It Why Don’t You Just Leave?™©®

Edit: Also, Canada can be pricks about letting people in too. Trying to get in to fix a machine can be an ideal for service technicians. In fact if the equipment is out of warranty it gets even harder. They don’t care how specialized the machine is; the assumption is that you must be denying a Canadian technician a job opportunity.

1 Like

My entire state is enveloped by that fat, yellow line. We have legal medical, and will likely have legal recreational within the next 5 years. What then? It’ll be legal on both sides of the Detroit and St. Clair rivers, but not on the bridges above (or tunnel below)? This is getting ridiculous.

5 Likes

And polar vortex… All our polar vortex is belong to us.

2 Likes

You mean because the United States is a police state?

Next time you visit, will you take me with you? Please?

Well, there’s another reason for me not to cross the border. not the top reason, but it goes on the list

Wait, do airlines really have that information? Or is it that your friend, knowing he wasn’t supposed to fly over the US, made damn sure he didn’t?

As an aside, I already hate your friend’s sister for having a destination wedding at all, and then for having it in a place that would be so tough for her own brother to get to.

Yep. This is why mail-order operations run by provincial governments should flop.

It’s even better in Quebec: our liquor monopoly is soon to become our cannabis monopoly (but not in the same locations).

That monopoly happens to have a loyalty program [sic], launched several years before cannabis legalization was a gleam in Justin’s eye (Trudeau, not the other one). Its name: Inspire. Which happens not only to mean “inspire” as in inspiration, but “inhale” (in the imperative).

I already refuse to join said program because I don’t trust its data security and don’t want to give a running tally of my liquor purchases to the same government that runs my healthcare. (Sounds paranoid, I know, but seemingly innocuous data gets used for shady purposes all the time.)

And now people will be swiping their Inspire cards when purchasing weed. Good luck to them. Hope it’s worth the points (equivalent to about 1% off).

1 Like

For the life of me, as the US becomes worse and worse, I can’t understand why anyone would want to come to the US.

In the depths of a Canadian winter, the southern US is the cheapest, closest warm weather getaway.

(Edited to add: after giving it more thought, this may only be true for us westerners. Anyone east of the prairies may have a few other options).

If you’re in eastern Canada, Cuba is marginally farther than Florida but significantly more affordable, but it isn’t for those who need everything to be perfect at all times.

Florida is still massively popular though, as are other parts of the US south.