Americans destroy hitchhiking robot

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Some has posted video footage of a scruffy looking guy approaching and presumably trashing Hitchbot. Not yet confirmed.

Canā€™t say Iā€™m surprised. Nor would I be surprised if it had been shot by a rich dentist.

30 Likes

Cute, yes; but also has the look of kidā€™s abandoned junk.
I wonder if the ratio of abandoned junk due to less socialized road cleanup and maintinence has what to do with the robot getting vaguely(per the story) decapitated or damaged in the US.
I wonder if this was more a case of feeling that apparently abandoned=available to take and the finder saw abandoned tech which could be DIYā€™ed into (in their opinion) more useful life than a bucket robot.

2 Likes

In a related story, video downloaded from Hitchbot shows Bill Cosby offering the robot a ride and a drink.

12 Likes

The sad tale of this projectā€™s demise seems to have done far more for its publicity than anything else it has done.

I am reminded of those various little bear-sharing projects I hear about every now and then in elementary schools and so forth, whereby students each take turns taking custody of a stuffed animal. It seems to me such projects must inevitably conclude with someone losing the sharable object and thus being traumatized for life for terminating the group effort.

The video shows Elfrethā€™s Alley at 2nd Street, where Wellens says he left hitchBOT on a bench between 4:30 and 5 a.m. Saturday.

This seems to be a poor strategy for any art project/expensive electronic kit.

1 Like

Some pub owner has hidden video footage of him chasing Hitchbot out into busy traffic.

4 Likes

I suspect it was Trump. More illegals coming into the US. Where is that robotā€™s visa? Where are its work papers?

7 Likes

Odds are on a virus.

If it was going to happen in any US city, it was going to be Philly.

Whoā€™s bright idea was it to bring the robot to Philly?

5 Likes

Should we figure out the identity of the thug that did in hitchBOT, I propose that a bunch of people organize to build clones of the robot. Then, over time, we set them up in places heā€™s likely to run into them: outside his front door in the morning, on the sidewalk outside his window at night, at work, on a bus he takes regularly, etc. It will have custom messages like, ā€œwhy did you hurt me, Todd?ā€ (I assume his name is Todd). When he starts kicking and smashing it, it will say ā€œthere will be more of us. There will always be more.ā€

28 Likes

Letā€™s hope this teaches a lesson to any other hitchhiking robots that might want to try this stunt in the future.

6 Likes

It turns out that singing ā€˜Baby donā€™t fear the reaperā€™ just doesnā€™t endear robots to American audiences. Who knew?

8 Likes

Read the article. It worked elsewhere.
It wouldnā€™t work in England either; we have the worst vandal problem in Europe. As I recall we had a derogation on the design of street lights because ours needed to be vandal proof; nobody elseā€™s did.

3 Likes

And now he has this terrible pain in all the diodes down his left hand side.

8 Likes

ā€œAmericans destroy ā€¦ā€

Hey, its what we do best!

5 Likes

Of course his name is Todd.

2 Likes

It could have been the South, where rednecks carrying Confederate flags would have surrounded it and mumbled something about not being from around hereā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m surprised Hitchbot survived Boston. Bostonians are terrified of anything with blinking lights.

14 Likes

Robot lives matter

1 Like