Americans destroy hitchhiking robot

No one hitchhikes any more for the fear of being raped or murdered. Why would robots be any different?

4 Likes

Whose bright idea was it to dress it in a Cowboy’s jersey!
as Springsteen wrote " better learn to move fast when you’re young, or you’re not long around"

In Philly you have to be a lot more descriptive than that. Yes I am from Philly and I fit that description, as do most of us.

I see this more like Independence Day as we we radio out to the rest of the world, and tell them how to bring those S.O.B. down. History will thank us for stopping this invasion.

1 Like

Who wants to rape a robot?

You weirdo.

2 Likes

Philly hackerspace, The Hacktory has announced it is going to fix / build a new version of the bot. They are having a meeting this Thursday night for all who are interested. https://www.thehacktory.org/hitchbot-meets-demise-in-philly-no-way/

5 Likes

Stop discriminating against my sexual identity.

6 Likes

Dude in sports jersey. Sports and its culture of violence, man.

2 Likes

Okay, steel yourselves for the crime-scene photo. (Warning: Graphic Robot Cybergore)

You brought this on yourselves, America. The first emissary is always this guy:

Or this one:

Subsequent visitors eschew the diplomatic approach.

10 Likes

Most geocachers could have predicted this. We’ve been sending stuff around the world for over a decade. My most successful traveler moved over 30,000 miles, and traversed the Atlantic several times, and spent extended time in Europe and the Bahamas. It finally met its end in Denmark. These ttrackable objects passing through Europe tend to be better treated, while in the US, someone may pick one up, and toss it in a drawer, and forget about it, rather than moving it along to a new cache.

Map of its travels, 01/15/2003 until its last move on 04/15/2012:

2 Likes

If that is an Eagles Jersey and #12, it is a Randall Cunningham Jersey. Boy is kicking it old school, literally!

Bostonians may never live our Keystone Cops down on account of that shit.

3 Likes

…or anywhere out west (and lots of the south) where anything winds up with a few bullet holes just for being there. Put a street sign on that robot and it would’ve been shot up by evening.

1 Like

hmm, the first image is not showing for me. anyone else? I thought it was spoilered, but clicking did nothing. mac/firefox latest-ish.
@sam ?
@codinghorror ?

Philly news reporting it may be a You-Tube prank. Local You-Tuber has a character who wears a Randall Jersey. They are the same guys who had left him last,So it looks like the video may be fake, or the whole destruction thing was done by these guys. Stay Tuned.

2 Likes

Worked okay in Chrome. (Yep, spoilertagged)

1 Like

Bloody carbon-units!

RiP. Rest in Pieces.
HitchBot was more than the sum of its parts.
We will all miss it’s dot matrix LED smile glowing through the gloom, un-judgmental to our human frailties and dark impulses.s

4 Likes

That was my first thought… “I’m surprised that the bomb squad didn’t get to it first”

2 Likes

I hitchhiked as a kid, not that long ago. Granted I was 15 or so, so that was ten years ago. But I did it both by myself and with a friend. We weren’t scared of anything. We both carry knives and it’s not like a pistol within the confines of a car has much of an advantage over a 7" boot knife.

In any case, it was out on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound, so while there were kooks, they were mostly harmless people who just wanted to grow their own pot, not get visited by the sheriff too often, and try to avoid paying taxes. My buddy and I got along with them swimmingly, as we both like pot, and were pretty broke.

2 Likes

I thought that it looked like it could be hiding an axe or machete inside it’s bucket…