Americans destroy hitchhiking robot

So are you saying we’re looking for a German-Hispanic with a not very high IQ? Or is that being stereotypical and we’re perhaps looking for a former running mate of John McCain?

…like a hole in the head.

I had a business colleague who was a little bit of a psycho. We were on a business trip in Germany, I let him drive and fell asleep. I woke up in time to find us on a 3-lane road, he decided to overtake at about 110mph, there were cars coming, and he tried to move in. Only being used to British roads he actually moved into the oncoming lane.
I grabbed the wheel and the handbrake and got us back, somehow, with lots of German honking. The experiment of letting him drive wasn’t repeated. A couple of days later he skipped an important client meeting to hunt prostitutes.

Compared to him, the guy who always drove on autobahns because he was afraid of navigating cross country and so would go round three sides of a square to avoid an A road was a brilliant driver. Even if he was always being late for meetings.

These people are fun to read about but when you’re practically shitting yourself with fear, not so much.

1 Like

A hitch hiking telepresence robot would be an excellent project. Be a cool thing to do with someone who was housebound, or a group of folks in an old people’s home, say. Let them take a crazy journey across the country via a little robot bumming rides & recharges from people’s cars.

5 Likes

We still get a lot of hitch hikers staying with us, although obviously there’s a definite crossover between people who would be willing to share a stranger’s car and those who would be willing to sleep on a stranger’s couch. Women would presumably be less likely to risk it, but the ones we’ve spoken to got preferential treatment as people didn’t see them as a risk and didn’t want them to be at risk either. One of our (female) guests hitch hiked all around Europe with a full-sized mannequin and seemed to have very little trouble getting around.

I think you’ve had a rather good idea.
I think the technology possibly isn’t quite there yet, but given a couple of years, and the reduction in mobile bandwidth costs, a couple of years might do it. One issue would be to reduce the bandwidth enough to permit video.
Front and back cameras so you can see the view and engage with the person carrying the robot.

I reckon it’s doable in the UK, at least. Pretty much everywhere’s got 3G now, especially along major roads.

Actually… there was a rather famous instance of hitchhiking not too long ago:

I have the book, but haven’t read it yet.

1 Like

Everyone keeps talking about a scruffy looking guy in a jersey, but I heard it was a couple of guys; they were up to no good…

1 Like

And they started making trouble in the neighborhood. Could not help myself.

I have a story like that, although I’ve never been on the Autobahn, but my same friend the psycho did end up driving us around 90MPH on a narrow two-lane street out on the island at about 2AM. We very narrowly avoided obliterating a deer. Instead it just took off a wing mirror and all the windows down the passenger side.

He spent the entire time I cleaned out my britches laughing at me for “being such a fat hairy pussy”. it definitely is more fun reading about him than being face to face with him. It’s a point of pride that he’s scared numerous people literally shitless.

1 Like

You can’t say that, and then not explain.

4 Likes

Just to make sure everyone knows. They now admit this video is fake. What is still in question is whether the two guys who last had it actually destroyed it, but they admit they made the fake video. They are local You-Tube pranksters who are trying to promote a new show. I don’t want to give them any publicity so I am not naming them.

I wouldn’t put it past Youtube “pranksters” to actually destroy it as a “prank”…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.