Ammon Bundy and 6 followers found not guilty of conspiracy in Malheur Oregon Wildlife Refuge takeover

Credible threats of violence with deadly weapons. That’s codes out to at least aggravated assault.

Yes, you can absolutely be charged with assault even if you don’t actually shoot or hit anyone. A very credible threat is enough.

14 Likes

Yeeeee- Hawww!!
Just in time for everybody to go out and vote for Trump.

3 Likes

I recall how the media and many politicians praised the authorities for their forbearance at Malheur and their careful efforts “not to escalate the confrontation.” Sort of like the authorities are doing at the pipeline protest.

4 Likes

They were acquitted of things like “possessing firearms in a federal facility,” where there were numerous pictures of them doing just that. I’m guessing the jury was sympathetic, whatever the federal case was like, because it couldn’t have been that bad.

12 Likes

There are treaties that say the descendants of the people buried there would get in some deep water with the federal government if they showed up with guns and declared the land theirs.

6 Likes

Unfortunately your faith in government is an intangible, and not real property held by the government.

5 Likes

wouldn’t want to set a precedent!

Oh, wait, maybe we do want to.

2 Likes

“I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters,” --Donald Trump

not really the middle, but eh, close enough.

5 Likes

The jury decided this thing, not the judge.

7 Likes

and creatin’ a public noosance.

6 Likes

I have nothing but agreement with the general feeling of “Fucking God Damn It. That’s Bullshit.”

13 Likes

How convenient for them that they were able to benefit from the support of both Inbred Lives Matter and Redneck Lives Matter.

They obviously lead charmed lives, because I don’t think this group is as smart as they look.

7 Likes

There are no “good guys” here, but there are predictable systems (the government) and there are crazy fantasists who live in their own alternate reality. It’s why I said to wait for a neutral party account rather than wait for an official government account. If someone else in the court who doesn’t have a dog in the fight speaks up, I’d be more inclined to believe them than a Bundy compatriot or PR person for the US Marshals.

1 Like

Ahhh, thank you for bringing back some of the old boing-boing vibe; and the old internet humor vibe in general. Remember when this was all crazy-ass fun and ridiculousness? Before the mainstream pinks got a hold of smart phones.

5 Likes

I would looooooooove to see the verdict if these guys weren’t white.

3 Likes

That was all it was? Man, I need to go find some old friends from the BBS / FidoNet / Usenet days and let them know it was all crazy fun and ridiculousness. I’m sure they’ll be shocked.

2 Likes

Probably because you don’t negotiate with terrorists.

1 Like

Funny the people always and ever saying that.

2 Likes

If only the defendants had left some evidence of their conspiracy, such as a scrap of paper, an old email, or a press conference.

23 Likes

I’m saving up “WTF, America!?” in case I need it on 9th of November.

9 Likes