Amusing yet disquieting video of man who backed into another car

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/19/amusing-yet-disquieting-video.html

3 Likes

these are the moments you get back in your car, be thankful the “damage” is negligible and then move on with your life.

9 Likes

14 Likes

“Crash?” Hardly.

I’ve had two similar encounters. One early winter morning I pulled over to the side of the road next to a car that I watched casually and slowly drive into a traffic light pole. I walked up to the open driver side window and asked the woman if she was okay. She just stared blankly at me and said nothing - she seemed very much awake. I kept trying to get a response from her and after maybe 5 minutes or more she reversed a bit and pulled back out on the road. I followed her and called the police with details. It was creepy.

Another time I was with a friend and we watched a guy slowly cross through an intersection against the light and lodge himself against a utility box. Car was idling against the box and the windows were up. The guy seemed aware and just stared at us. We tried to get his attention to turn off the engine. Took a long time but we got him to unlock the door just in time for ambulance guys to arrive.

Someone told me that this can happen when someone goes into diabetic shock.

16 Likes

That’s a look that says, “Your brain seems strangely tasty. Come closer.”

Zombie apocalypse, patient zero. Run.

11 Likes

Too many drinkie winkies, that’s my take.

3 Likes

I read that as “twinkies”

All-righty

2 Likes

+1 on insulin shock.

I have a family member that I’ve been talking with on the phone when they go into a hypoglucose shock. They just kind of fade away.

Another time I was at a high altitude runners retreat and our group was having dinner. Unbeknownst to me, one of the runners was type 1 diabetic and likely has just given himself insulin after our evening run. He started playing with his dinner and tried to stab a beet on his plate with a spoon, splashing gravy everywhere. Next he took out his wallet and tried to eat a dollar bill. In hindsight I think he was instinctively trying to go for a glucose packet he had stashed there. Over the entire time he has a blank stare like this fellow.
After about 5 minutes he came to and had no recollection of his actions. If I had known what I known now about this condition I would have helped him to some sugar ASAP.

12 Likes

Makes me wonder how frequently people end up with a mouth full of asphalt and a cop’s knee on their neck because of this condition.

6 Likes

“Stop resisting! Stop resisting!”

3 Likes

Another possibility is Ambien.

7 Likes

Ah, the classic Twinkie defense.

2 Likes

No, you block him in and call the cops to ensure that everyone else can move on with their lives instead of being mowed over in a crosswalk. He’s obviously a tremendous danger to himself and others on the road regardless of the reason (insulin shock/alcohol/whatever).

6 Likes

you do you, I will do me.

1 Like

When I was a very new dad with a very young infant in the car seat, some guy pulled into the spot in front of me and bumped my car. He had the same cavalier “yeah, I hit your car, so what?” attitude.

3 Likes

Drugs is a hell of a drug.

4 Likes

I thought Ambien’s main side effect was racism…

3 Likes

Replace and paint a late-model VW rear bumper is going to cost north of $1000. It’s more than a scratch.

4 Likes

To leave him to carry on wherever reverse gear takes him?

4 Likes