An accurate depiction of what it's like to grow old

“No, that’s just perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe has that.”

5 Likes

The flip side to this is still being carded for alcohol purchases when approaching my 50th birthday lol “Why??? I’m old, can’t you tell??”

2 Likes

Sadly, I don’t need an explainer on the subject.

12 Likes

As a 50-something father, this is particularly poignant to me. Every time I look in the mirror, my perpetually 20-something year old self is instantly shattered. For years, I’ve been aware that, somehow, I’ve always felt I had more in common with college freshmen than someone just 2-3 years older than me…

Getting old is an odd journey.

3 Likes

Oh god I hate those dreams. Why do they never end? At least we’re in good company.

2 Likes

One wonders what paranoia/insecurity dreams consisted of before high school was invented. And the “I’m naked from the waist down” dream before we started wearing animal skins.

2 Likes

adulting

13 Likes

Such an interesting topic.
Aging, the passage or time, dysmorphia, etc.
Was just thinking recently; I’ll be 58 this summer. My wife and I have been with each other for over 22 years and they have flown by. In another 22 years I’ll be 80.
My parents are in their 80’s.
When my mom sent me a big box of photos that she’d saved dating back to the first pictures of my brother and me, school photos, etc. Thinking of the time that’s passed for them for us, it’s crazy to put that all in perspective.
I remember when I was in grade school, I didn’t think of any of us in the 4th grade as being little kids.
In fact, some of the taller kids seemed like giants to me.
Was weird the first time I looked at those photos in decades to see myself and all my classmates as in fact little kids.
A work day seems to drag on infinitely, but the passage of time overall really flies.
I remember as a kid saying “I wish it was summer already so I won’t be in school!” and my grandmother telling me - “don’t wish for the time to go by fast, because when you get older, it will.”

3 Likes

I’ve heard that our perception of time slows down again between ages 60-70, more like it was when we were teenagers. I hope that’s true. I feel like my kids were born yesterday. I just can’t keep up.

3 Likes

I am 55 and feel about 35. My mom is older and thinks of herself as 15.

Content was boring.

Perhaps I’m an exception to the rule but, at 65, time seems to be screaming by at the same pace as the last 30 or so years.

I still feel much like a kid really. A very experienced kid, but certainly not mature. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Another note from a 60-year-old here, and the video struck me as completely accurate. My driver’s license tells me that I’m 60 but I sure don’t feel like what I think a 60-year-old is maybe supposed to feel like? But the face in the mirror and the nagging pains that just…don’t…go…away would seem to tell me that I definitely am, along with those irritating mailings from AARP trying to get me to sign up.

6 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

4 Likes

Well damn. :frowning:

2 Likes

The way I like to put it is: "60 doesn’t feel as old as I used to think it looks. I mean I’m finally internalizing the fact that I am middle aged but now I’m old.

4 Likes

Just live every day like it’s your last. 'Cause the older you get…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.