An air-tight, wide mouth pet food container

Originally published at: An air-tight, wide mouth pet food container | Boing Boing

2 Likes

My neighbor uses those to make kimchee, and other fermented delish delights.

2 Likes

Ha. I do that in a smaller jar.

3 Likes

Your “Boss” level up is right there for the taking.

2 Likes

I prefer this one. I don’t have to take it off the shelf to open the lid. I also use them for storing by grain for brewing. Keeps out the nasty pantry moths.

8 Likes

These are also good for storing rice and other bulk grains. I use something like this so I can buy large sacks at a much lower price per pound. If you bake a lot, they are great for flour - keep vermin out of your bread!

2 Likes

I’m listening to the whirrr right now!

1 Like

I can attest to the quality of the Gamma2 system and the Vittles Vaults in particular.

You can also get Gamma lid adapters that snap onto the top of your favorite 5-gallon bucket!

6 Likes

A friend we sometimes dogsit for has that - I don’t like the open/close mechanism.

We splurged for the SimpleHuman. We love it so much, we bought a second for our vacation home. It’s $140, but much easier to use and looks great. With the XL size, you can slide in an entire 25-30lb dog food bag, as-is, then open the top. Or you could empty bags into the liner and deal with cleanup. One of ours is almost 10 years old and still looks/works like brand new.

1 Like

How is this superior to, say, a Tupperware food grade storage bin?
We eat a lot of Costco nuts; I repurpose our nut jars for cat food storage. By dividing it up, we only expose a few days’ worth of kibble to air, and use it up before it goes stale.

2 Likes

Looks cooler.

1 Like

They’re essentially totally water- and air-proof. We used to keep our chicken feed outdoors in one of these and never suffered a leak or spoilage (at least until a squirrel made its way into the bin through some herculean plastic-chewing effort). Toss in a few oxygen absorbers and they would be perfect prepper dry food storage containers.

They also sell replacement gaskets, so if you open and close them a lot you don’t need to worry about permanently ruining the seal from wear.

2 Likes

These are great. I’ve got one that holds 35lbs of food for my 3 dogs. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

I like to use Folger’s Coffee 3 lb. plastic jugs. After the initial feeding, there is just enough room for one bag of cat food, which I keep in a Ziploc freezer bag inside the jug, for freshness.

3 Likes

That is a great idea.

The plastic is too dense for critters to chew through or break into. Whether it’s a pet or a pest.

And threaded cap means they aren’t going to knock or pry the lid open.

They’re also pretty weather proof. We use them for bird seed as well as pet food. Mostly to keep mice out, but also my brother’s large dog who straight up ate a rubber made food storage bin to get at the dog food inside.

2 Likes

If you have a cabin in remote area, these as well make good food safe(s). Desert folk been using these for food storage since they were made. As for fermented food and brine food, I use it to brine my chicken or turkey (quartered for better fit). They can resist persistent use due to there superior construction. I’ve had mine for at least ten years.

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 Like

An alternative is to add a “Gamma Seal Lid” to a standard five-gallon bucket. These are screw-top lids that only require a mallet to install. After using one, you’ll never want to use a standard bucket lid ever again.

3 Likes

We’ve used these for years on canoe trips for carrying food or anything that needs to be kept dry.

https://www.amazon.ca/Gamma-4122-Seal-Lid-White/dp/B0054LDFK2/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=Gamma&qid=1636153487&sr=8-16&th=1
They keep the smells down and are tough enough to keep out critters smaller than a bear, although the handle of one of our buckets has some raccoon toothmarks.

Even if they are tightened firmly they don’t seize or jam and are easy to open. The lid just spins off. And you can colour-code them.

3 Likes

Mice and rats will go thru a white food grade bucket in minutes.

2 Likes

I guess we’ve been lucky. We usually hang them in a tree anyway. The lack of smell probably helps too.

1 Like