An astoundingly odd cinematic cigarette commercial from 1977

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/18/an-astoundingly-odd-cinematic.html

3 Likes

If they wanted to convey the dread of a life-long smoker waiting for his lung cancer diagnosis, mission accomplished!

4 Likes

Well now we know what killed the dinosaurs. (h/t Garry Larson)

3 Likes

Jeepers, what did it cost to make this ad?? Could it possibly have been cost-effective?

1 Like

Pretty sure that was stock footage of the “JIM” suit. Intercut with some of the King Tut crowd scenes at the museum. and a final set piece.

4 Likes

“Okay folks, that’s the last time we hire this Mr. Kubrick.”

7 Likes

What about dragging the huge slab out of the water around 1:10?

Part of what makes it seem odd, to me, is its faux-documentary style and the fact that it is so long and drawn out. It isn’t hitting the viewer hard with over-the-top “suspense” cliches, so it’s sort of working against its own intended humorous tone.

Okay, wait I´m confused. So a giant (or giantess) lost his (or her) pack of fags in the Themse and when they recovert it they put it in the british museum? What?

2 Likes

It’s a shame they had to pull it out of the water – where the cigarettes could not harm anyone.

LOL - “most doctors don’t smoke”. One can only imagine the shit-fight, bribery and corrupt self interest that produced that compelling slogan.

1 Like

Lungs Wide Shut?

3 Likes

A much better version of the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NZzUfkjPLc

1 Like

But when they do…

‘Silk Cut’ adverts from the 1980s were even more obscure- they didn’t even show the packets, just made a vague allusion to the brand:

2 Likes

You can’t judge this by the standards of today; people didn’t really understand the dangers involved back then. Of course now we know how toxic it is, but in the seventies, people still actually thought that a certain amount of advertising was “OK”.

7 Likes

Holy, err, smokes! Did you see this Benson & Hedges commercial with a tall young Yoda thing making magical carousels by dancing and waving his arms around ???

eta: don’t forget the jade lion lighting herself on fire!

“most doctors don’t smoke” …and I wonder how true it was in 1977?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.