Creepy Smokey Bear commercial from the '70s

Originally published at: Creepy Smokey Bear commercial from the '70s | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I remember this PSA. It was odd, but I was never was creeped out by it. I also remember that it was rather effective because it got people talking about the ad, which makes it successful.

9 Likes

I’m ruined for life.

3 Likes

Am I the only one that knew who the woman was without using the googles?

3 Likes

I do believe that is Joan Severance of Blade Runner fame?

2 Likes

Yes, the lovely Joanna Cassidy.

6 Likes

I remember it well, too. So '70s … using a sexy lady to sell something that had nothing to do with sex.

4 Likes

Close, Joanna Cassidy.

Blade Runner, Roger Rabbit, and a crap ton of other film and TV stuff for the last few decades.

6 Likes

Yup. Joan Severance was in stuff not quite as good as Blade Runner, like Black Scorpion and the nobody-asked-for-it doomed Love Boat reboot.

1 Like

EVERY commercial in the 70s was like a horror movie in tone. But because there were so many actual ads for horror movies on tv, the “regular” ads didn’t seem like horror at the time, being (just a bit) tame by comparison.

1 Like

“creepy”? pffft, babies. make commercials unsettling again!

2 Likes

Just an observation: This writer, Popkin, finds lots and lots of ordinary things, that only happen to be old, “creepy.” Whenever I see the word in a headline here, I know instantly who the byline will be. “Nightmare fuel,” and “haunt your dreams” appear a lot, too, for the most prosaic things from just a few decades ago. It’s funny, then puzzling, then kinda sad, for one so young, tasked with looking into the history of popular culture, to constantly find themself beset on all sides by devils and phantasms beyond explanation. It’s creepy.

1 Like

That’s just her Outy. Her Inny is doing important and mysterious work.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.