Watch the Herman Cain 2012 Smoking Ad — in memoriam

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/30/watch-herman-cains-smoking.html

7 Likes

What’s the subtext of this ad? That smoking is cool? Smoking isn’t cool, kids! Anyone who lived through 1980s Saturday morning cartoons can tell you that.

13 Likes

Not sure of the subtext, but it goes down as one of the most unintentionally creepy political ads ever created. Wow!

14 Likes

I believe it can be summed up as: we don’t have the budget to produce an ad.

17 Likes

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long…

13 Likes

Sure, but – the director made the clear choice to end the clip with this dude taking a drag, and even titled the clip “Smoking”. This was an editorial decision that presumably the campaign thought would be valuable. What value did they see? What audience are they trying to appeal to with this choice? Etc.

8 Likes

Well do let the door hit ya’ where the good lord split ya’ Herman.

8 Likes

It’s discouraging to see so many people willing to take such risks with their own health, and the health of others, for the sake of a stupid failed ideology. I wonder what Herman would have to say about someone else who lost their life foolishly for the same reason that he risked his own?

He did it simply to try to own the libs, and to further the agenda of the disgusting occupant of the White House and the GOP which continue to enable him.

Sadly, many, many innocent and honest and undeserving people will also lose their lives before this is over. The GOP will continue to pretend that they actually care whether it happens, only when it is one of their own who dies.

11 Likes

I believe that subtext can be summed up as: one of our interns took a film class at college once and watched a Jean Luc Godard film.

I’m just surprised it wasn’t in black & white with an ending that faded away to an empty playground for us to all contemplate the ennui of age.

(hope it comes across that I’m not teasing you, I’m just making fun of this weirdness that I’m also perplexed by)

13 Likes

I would assume it was to appeal to people who think that the gubernment was taking to many of or freedoms, trying to control us, telling us not to smoke and stuff. Gosh darn it! If I want to huff benzine I should be able to! This is AMERICA !!11!1!

That would be my guess. Pretty weird. Also the serious look changing to cocky grin changing to out right laughter is bazaar to me. Turns me right off.

8 Likes

It turns out that many, many people are dying of a hoax.
Just not in the way that I presume someone like Cain might understand it,
follow?

The hoax is that the virus is a hoax.
See, it goes round and round.
Hoaxes all the way down.

8 Likes

The “take our country back” argument against Obama seemed vaguely racist, but obviously that wouldn’t apply to Cain. But it makes a lot of sense now.

3 Likes

I wonder if Trump will end up noting Cain’s death with praise (since Cain literally sacrificed his life to push the Trump narrative) or condemnation (since Cain made Trump look bad by dying).

11 Likes

Good riddance to another Republican fool.

My condolences to his family.

(hat tip to Aziraphale and Crowley’s dialogue in the awesome “Good Omens”)

8 Likes

I don’t wish people dead, but there are many I wish didn’t exist in their current format. Sympathies to Cain’s family, but I’d rather wish sympathies to the other millions around the planet who have died and will die sooner due to this.

9,9,9 was a stupid idea to transfer wealth. Glad he didn’t get traction in our electoral system.

10 Likes
7 Likes

8 Likes

In the words of the poet, “Life can be a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It’s never easy when there’s so much on the line. But you and I can make a difference. There’s a mission just for you and me.”

2 Likes

I thought it was the freedom to make unhealthy choices and be successful anyway. Oh, wait…

6 Likes

Rarely has an ad produced in 2011 looked so much like an on-the-street interview in New York circa 1974.

4 Likes