An atomic bomb-proof strongbox protects the U.S. Constitution from terrorists and thieves

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/25/an-atomic-bomb-proof-strongbox.html

2 Likes

Well, anyone watching the documentary National Treasure would know what was behind the security system and how it works.

I highly recommend it, very informative as to how our nation was designed and created by very innovative Masons. Unlike most documentaries I also found it very entertaining, they’re usually so dry!

15 Likes

"An atomic bomb-proof strongbox protects the U.S. Constitution from terrorists and thieves "

Thus insuring that the constitution may be one of the few things that survives a Trump presidency (well, an original copy of the document itself if not the intent) .

10 Likes

I often wonder if BB editors choose topics based on the jokes they enable us to make, inspired by them. I don’t actually believe that, but it’s a recurring thought.

(Or maybe the joke is implicit in the choice of topic, as a subtext, and it’s up to us to get the joke, which I’m just now realizing.)

14 Likes

Is it really nuclear proof? I read somewhere that only round shelters worked in tests. I’m not sure where I saw that though.

10 Likes

Sadly it is vulnerable to conveniently timed upkeep/preservation.

6 Likes

Chuckle-worthy.

I think I’m spending too much time reading BB.

3 Likes

Doesn’t keeping the Second Amendment under bulletproof glass kind of undermine the spirit of the thing?

12 Likes

Atomic bomb-proof , climate controlled strongbox? Neat. Does it dispense chilled water and keep beer cold too?

12 Likes

Well, if you force the systems into thinking it requires preservation, of course it can be conveniently timed.

2 Likes

######Disclaimer: not actually proof against atomic bombs.

4 Likes

Yeah, gotta drive the kids, and the horses to the field (have to bring the spare horse, too.) Polo moms have to work way harder than soccer moms.

1 Like

All kidding aside, I watched a BTS video about the production design of “National Treasure”. The producers and writers worked very closely with the National Archives and the NSA to come up with an elaborate, detailed depiction of the care and security of the Declaration . . . which was 100% fiction.

5 Likes

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I mean, obviously Nicholas Cage was imprisoned for this theft, why else haven’t we seen him in any movies for years?

3 Likes

We should all be so lucky . . .

1 Like

Maybe Steven Seagal ate him? (Might have to post that in the AFacts thread…)

1 Like

For what it’s worth, the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP), run by the Government Publishing Office (GPO), works the “preservation of ‘foundational’ texts for all Americans” idea from a little different angle. “Depository libraries” around the United States (currently 1100+) must offer public availability to the “core collection” of documents provided by GPO which include (but are not limited to):

Budget of the United States Government Catalog of U.S. Government Publications Code of Federal Regulations Congressional Directory Congressional Record (daily) Federal Register (daily) Statistical Abstract of the United States United States Code

In addition, Title 44 USC requires any US Government agency producing a publication to publish it through GPO (or inform GPO of its publication) unless it’s considered restricted information (classified, or contains personally identifiable information). Once the item is in print (or is otherwise published), GPO distributes the documents to the Depository Libraries for public access. And if you’re bursting to see what sort of stuff GPO distributes, find it at http://catalog.gpo.gov .

All of which is to say that the Archives may have a real neato safe and whatnot (and yeah, it’s neat), but GPO actually went to the trouble of geographically distributing publications–no bigass safe needed.

Besides, I’m told Chaotic Neutral Elves around the world are bigly into safecracking…

3 Likes

Wait -Diebold? You people are entrusting Diebold…

1 Like

Is it Drumpf proof though? How about TGOP proof?

1 Like

OK. Check “U.S. Constitution” off my list of “What’s in Rob’s safe?” guesses.

6 Likes