An "Average Joe" takes on the US Curling team

Originally published at: An "Average Joe" takes on the US Curling team | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Yay Sweden!

5 Likes

I always thought that some forward-thinking coach should tap a bunch of professional janitors to put together a curling team on the theory that a lifetime of mopping practice would give them an advantage.

14 Likes

Totally, they’d clean up.

31 Likes

I’m curling :curling_stone:, right now. Snicker :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Damn dude, blur that stuff!

3 Likes

And there is your pitch for a Disney movie!

6 Likes

Sweden took gold in the event this year

Pedantry, I know, but Sweden took gold in the men’s event this year.

11 Likes

Curling should get a mixed-gender option. This is one sport with no benefit for men.

2 Likes

Mixed Doubles Curling – dominated by Italy at the Olympics.

7 Likes

Curling: the only Olympic sport I still care about. The one sport where truly average (looking) people can absolutely dominate (but those people are skilled as hell, let me tell you). It’s quite popular now in some northern states. I know Maine has a few curling rinks and a new one opening up soon. It’s a mad, insane, delightful sport that only the Scottish could invent.

3 Likes

Someone has to defend the honour of TeamGB TeamScotland!

5 Likes

I grew up watching curling because we could see Canada from here and there was nothing on TV in the 70s.

1 Like

It’s a shame that John Candy isn’t around to play the coach.

8 Likes

I always thought that some forward-thinking coach should tap a bunch of professional janitors to put together a curling team on the theory that a lifetime of mopping practice would give them an advantage.

And there is your pitch for a Disney movie!

And would it be called Cool Moppings? …A heartwarming tale of how Jamaican janitors curled their way to Olympic stardom.

1 Like

In the U.S., it’s Minnesota. Not exactly “popular”, but it’s played there more than any other state.

1 Like

Apparently someone raised this idea with the US Olympic Team, but they just got the brush off.

Isn’t it the rule in all games; if they win, they are British, if they lose, they are “Plucky Scots”.

3 Likes

I tried it once when a local curling league had an open house event. It’s fun!

2 Likes

There literally is one, but I agree it’s weird there are men’s and women’s events too.

Can you explain please? I legitimately don’t see how it’s easier for men to curl.