When Jimmy Kimmel Live asks these folks about the Winter Olympics they fib like pros

Originally published at: When Jimmy Kimmel Live asks these folks about the Winter Olympics they fib like pros | Boing Boing

2 Likes

America, where everyone is an expert … BSer.

A wise person understands that often the most productive answer to a question is “I don’t know” (although to be fair it won’t get one on da telebision)

12 Likes

Winter Super Spreader Olympics

FIFY

7 Likes

I still haven’t heard how many condoms were ordered for the olympic village for all the horny athletes.
But they were distributed:

They got 110K last Winter Games:

Also, the Winter Olympics are better than the summer games. Much more enjoyable events to watch, IMO.

3 Likes

The opening ceremony is Friday, the curling started early (to really build up the excitement).

7 Likes

People willing to lie to get on tv? In Hollywood no less!?!

giphy

7 Likes

Curling has been fun so far!

3 Likes

my frequent use of the phrase “i don’t know” when asked a question i had no idea the answer to was something that truly increased the amount of respect i got from my students. in my 6th grade classes i was not only the first male teacher many of my students had but i was also the first teacher who had ever uttered that statement to them.

sometimes they would follow up with questions like “you aren’t saying that so we’ll have to look up the answer ourselves?” one intrepid girl asked me " you don’t know and you’re not going to make up something to make us think you do?" i got the impression that there was a lot of bullshitting going on in class.

there were times i was asked questions i told them i couldn’t talk about, like most things to do with sex, drugs, and curse words but i drew a bright line between that and true ignorance on my part. in the long run, i found that gave more authority when i told them things they found hard to believe but were true nonetheless.

16 Likes

Sweep, you magnificent bastards! Sweep!

7 Likes

When I’ve seen this segment before, I assume people were BS’ing to avoid showing their ignorance - but now I’m thinking they were actually given some sort of instruction to do so before the cameras were rolling. (Or otherwise correctly ascertained that’s what was expected of them.)

3 Likes

Probably the last. These late-night segments are not straight news “streeters” but the only thing that makes them bearable for the interviewer who pulls that short straw is being grimly satisfied by how stupid, ignorant, or attention-seeking enough of the “interviewees” are guaranteed to be without any prompting.

2 Likes

Well, it is Hollywood.

acting jon lovitz GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

I always wondered how many interviews were left on the cutting room floor (so to speak) because they didn’t lie. I have to believe that most people, when asked those questions without a set up, would truthfully say they hadn’t seen it. Of course it is a comedy bit, so the entire thing could be staged.

1 Like

You lost me there. I love Track & Field!

1 Like

I like some of that, too. Mostly swimming and certain track and field. Maybe some basketball.
But with the winter games (I used to be a die hard skier, so that’s part of it) I literally enjoy every single sport that airs. All the skiing and boarding (Super G is my favorite), all the skating (speed and figure), all the fast sledding (bob, luge, skeleton), hockey. All of it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I was napping. Curling? What the fuck? Break out the tequila!

Seriously, back to napping…

2 Likes

Curling can be pretty brutal, right?

Stars of track and field are beautiful people.

Edited for added Belle and Sebastian.

4 Likes
6 Likes

The Chinese team has highly motivational sweeping direction! I have been following them since day one, lots of fun, and good play.

(linked at time)

3 Likes

Yeah, Olympic events have already started yesterday. I’ve only seen a bit of the curling today, so far. Maybe I’ll get up early enough to watch the opening ceremony tomorrow (Friday).

If I thought I could sell the snow angel marathon as a genuine olympic event maybe I’d just say I watched that. Hell, biathlon is an actual event that doesn’t sound anywhere near strange enough as it is watching it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like