An electric carving knife that looks like a chainsaw

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/23/an-electric-carving-knife-that.html

3 Likes

4 Likes

But why, indeed!

That thing looks very unwieldy and - well, just dumb.

This is a proper electric carving knife. There’s a reason they make the blade narrow, like a proper knife. Try carving round a curve or corner of a bone with that dumb chainsaw thing and see how far you get.

carvingknife

3 Likes

I’ve never owned one. I have always found a carving knife and boning knife have sufficed.

4 Likes

Me too. But I inherited one, and I have found it has some utility from time to time. Mainly for trying to get thin/smooth/consistent slices out of meat that is likely to just fall apart otherwise. I think it is the fast movement and vibration that works in that scenario.

2 Likes

Are we still talking about the same thing?

4 Likes

Look who’s coming to Thanksgiving this year!

190613-chainsaw-feature

5 Likes

About one surface rubbing over another repetitively and mechanically until a satisfying result is … the outcome ?
Umm, maybe… ? :wink:

4 Likes

Only if it does the “brraat… brraat… rhaaaaaaa”

3 Likes

Cute but even if it works well, that is HUGE. Where do people keep all this junk?

4 Likes
4 Likes

I think we will just have it catered instead. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Man, I would LOVE to be able to do that. That! That there is the best super power!

2 Likes

Such a bizarre American tradition. The mom does all the work all day, then the father gets to take a weird tool designed especially for him to proudly and ceremoniously carve the bird, fulfilling his role as pater familia.

“If this were a chain saw, you boys would be fighting over who gets to carve the turkey.”

I think she hit the nail on the head re the reason for the traditional electric carving knife. It gives the man a special tool that’s all his. It’s manly enough, slightly dangerous, seems like a power tool, and the wife will never use it.

3 Likes

Over the mantel.

Also:

No one needs an assault carver.

2 Likes

Ash-v-evil-chainsaw|nullxnull

2 Likes

I was trying to find a pic with Ash relaxing by the fire with the chainsaw on the mantel. If that isn’t a pic, it should be.

2 Likes

How does it deal with larger bones? Asking for a friend …

1 Like

I don’t know if there is, but there should… certainly there is some fanfic art along those lines?

1 Like

Keep your carving knife nice and sharp, and with good technique (both cutting and cooking), you should be able to carve deli meat thin slices for sandwiches.

(but yeah, I spent my weekends in my Uncle’s butcher shop as a kid, so I’m a bit spoiled)
[…Things I did not put on my vet school application…]