An etymologist explains how Halloween candy favorites got their names

A tootsie roll is a hard little chunk of chocolate taffy.

2 Likes

As chuckfalzone said, a Tootsie Roll is a chewy taffy-like sweet with a flavor resembling chocolate. I can’t think of anything remotely similar in the UK. I find them a bit old fashioned. They’re low on the Halloween candy value scale.

3 Likes

Yes, a flavor resembling chocolate. Sort of somewhat vaguely reminiscent of chocolate, you might say. The website of Tootsie Roll Industries says that Tootsie Rolloffers a perfectly-balanced cocoa taste, lined with a subtle, fruit-flavored undertone”.

(Ingredient list for the Original Classic Tootsie Roll is: “Sugar, Corn Syrup, Palm Oil, Condensed Skim Milk, Cocoa, Whey, Soy Lecithin, Artificial and Natural Flavors”.)

I’ve never found out what fruit(s) the fruit-flavored undertone is supposed to be—to my mind and taste buds, it’s orange. But I’m guessing it’s probably some combination of fruity flavors.

1 Like

I often growl at the anti-american banter on QI. A recent example in the last series was when they were talking about how american chocolate tastes like vomit because of some enzyme that exists in both american chocolate and puke. It’s good to hear that you brits are willing to overlook that and still eat it anyway.

Last year one of the older trick-or-treaters came to our door with candy boxes pinned all over his sweatpants. He was SmartiePants, of course. (Sorry, @phuzz, SmartieTrousers just isn’t as funny. :wink:)

This discussion reminds me of the story about the [insert choice of foreigner here] who got a job as quality control on the M&M conveyor. He was fired because he kept throwing out the Ws.

2 Likes

I’m just happy we don’t need an entomologist to explain the flavours.

3 Likes

British Smarties don’t use cochineal in the red ones anymore

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.